Sopranino-how cheap is too cheap? - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Forum Contributor 2008 Michigansax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sopranino-how cheap is too cheap?

Also, what results have you gotten with the Caravan mouthpiece/Selmer horn combination?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alas, it is not just the mouthpiece/reed combination, but the instrument is a significant contributor to the basic sound. I have many sopraninos (don't ask) of all descriptions, and I constantly compare tone with similar reed/mouthpiece setups, and the differences are considerable. That said, I am constantly working with custom re-faced mouthpieces to find the best (classically dark for me) sound on my best sounding sopranino. I find that the stock Van Doren, Selmer, Rampone and Yanig mouthpieces are too bright and cutting. At the moment I am using either a custom refaced Selmer (by sopranoplanet) or the new Caravan sopranino mouthpiece (which uses a Bb soprano reed). The Caravans are excellent, but tend to go sharp above high A through F#.
    My darkest sounding sopraninos are either my 1920s Bueschers with original mouthpiece or my early 20th century Evette=Schaeffers with original mouthpiece. Great sounding horns, but ergonomically impractical. And the original mouthpieces simply don't work both acoustically or mechanically (they don't fit on the neck) with the more modern sopraninos.

I have a brief demonstration of two of my sopraninos from my "Vintage Saxophones Revisited" CD. I'm playing a 1920s Conn and my Mark VI on a custom refaced mouthpiece. Happy to send mp3 clip, but I can never figure out how to post them on this forum.

Paul Cohen

Forum Contributor 2008 Michigansax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting. At this point, I'v put enough resources into settling on the setup I have. I will probably perhaps purchase the Caravan as he does have a generous return policy. Once Iv'e practiced some, I'll post a video of myself playing an etude to track my progress.

I actually bought your CD back in 1998 or 1999. I remember because I was a freshman in college. After many moves, I sadly misplaced it. Time to order another copy. I remember the track demonstrating high pitch v. low pitch horns. Very entertaining.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4