Sax on the Web Forum banner

Vandoren V5-B75 vs Vandoren V16-B7

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  B Flat 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between these two mouthpieces.
Which is Darker/Brighter etc etc.

Vandoren's description is useless.

And before the SOTW Nazi's get upset, I did search previous threads and none answered this question satisfactorily.

Thanks.

#2 ·

And before the SOTW Nazi's get upset, I did search previous threads and none answered this question satisfactorily.

Thanks.
I played a B75 for quite a few years, I also had an RPC 105R for a while too and chose the B75 in the end as the better mouthpiece.
But, in the end the B75 was quite nasal for me- if a baritone sound can be nasal. There was a harshness and edge to the sound that never went away at any dynamic and it lacked the warmth I was after. It recorded very well though and worked well for horn section and big band work on my Martin bari.

I haven't owned a B7 but have tried one and its a much rounder tone to me with more warmth at lower volume and a more harmonically balanced tone that still has punch and focus.
After I sold the B75 I got a rubber Yanagisawa (which I had worked on) and I also have a Grande Supreme. They both occupy different tonal spectrums and are excellent. The Yanagisawa is my everyday mouthpiece and the Grande Supreme comes out when needed for extra punch.

And yes, Vandoren's product descriptions are utterly useless!

#3 ·
Thanks Benny.
This is what I was hoping would be the case.
I have a B75 and really quite like it, but as you mentioned there is something in its tone that just isn't right for me.
It improves with the right reed but doesn't go completely.
I've just won a B7 on the bay which from how you describe it, should be just what I'm after.
The Yanagisawa rubber pieces really are great, and if I could find a 7-8 tip at a fair price, I'd be all over it.

#4 ·

Thanks.
Not exactly the same but this video comparing the slightly larger tipped versions of these pieces done by Dennis DiBlasio might be an interesting data point for you;

#6 ·
Yeah -I ran across that video one day when I was watching other stuff Dennis has posted. I'm hoping to get a chance to meet him at some point as my niece just started college at Rowan where he is a music director for the jazz studies program. I'm thinking some time I may visit her there and wander around and see if I can find Dennis and pick his brain about playing bari.

I'm sure Dennis can make just about anything sound good as you suggest but you won't know how much difference you'll see/feel until you play them side-by-side. It will be interesting to hear from you once you've done that so don't leave us hanging.

#9 ·
I had a B7 for a while, mostly to use in quartet and theatre work, with an RPC for big band/small group solo work. I really liked it but I like to have one mouthpiece for all situations where possible, which is why I searched out my Soloist G. Vandoren produce great quality pieces though, no doubt about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.