Sax on the Web Forum banner

Aerophone AE-10 ? New Roland Wind Instrument

240K views 576 replies 104 participants last post by  3dogie 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Aerophone AE-10 - New Roland Wind Instrument

Don't know if I want palmkeys, front f etc. with an electronic wind instrument ....

#4 ·

Don't know if I want palmkeys, front f etc. with an electronic wind instrument ....
As a previous Yamaha WX5, I highly appreciate the complete sax fingering. I found sometimes I made mistakes playing sax after a long period playing my EWI 4000S due to the lack of palm keys or low Bb.

Yes, I was looking for some youtube examples but couldn't find any
Has been presented in Tokio just a few hours ago.

#5 ·

I have a Roland V-Accordion, which is an outstanding instrument. Roland has some great wind sensing technology in the Vaccordion, and I imagine they were able to transfer that over to this aerophone. Hopefully this thing will have way better built in sounds that the EWI. That would be good news for those of us who don't want to deal with external sound modules and softsynths.

#6 ·

I have a Roland V-Accordion, which is an outstanding instrument. Roland has some great wind sensing technology in the Vaccordion, and I imagine they were able to transfer that over to this aerophone.
I'm very glad to read that. And very Excited.

Hopefully this thing will have way better built in sounds that the EWI. That would be good news for those of us who don't want to deal with external sound modules and softsynths.
Roland have great sounds available. I hope they focused this product in pro players, so I expect hight quality in this sense. And a expensive price.

UPDATE:
More to see and hear tomorrow in Toronto: http://tfr.roland.com/eu/timetable/t201609092300

#7 ·

Interesting.....I wonder how solid it feels. Both the EWI and the WX5 felt like toys to me. And the sounds on the WX5's sound module, (had the turbo chip), were far too layered with effects for my taste. A solid feel & simpler sounds that you combine on your own would go a long way for me.....

#8 ·

My WX5 broke a few months ago; glad I waited to repair/replace it now. Very curious to hear more... G# key, Bis B, etc all look promising to me. What's the octave mechanism? Midi output so it plays nicely with my vintage Roland XV5050 and Alesis Midiverb? Wireless options?

Can we gig it?

#9 ·

anyone who would make a robust, natural sounding (but also open to other sounds) and natural " feeling" machine will be on to a winner.

Until now the only ever thing that was anything closer to that definition was the swiss synthophone.

(Take into account that this is taken with a camera microphone and compressed by You-tube)

http://www.softwind.com/synthophone.html

#10 ·

According to Roland, it does have built-in sounds. And it looks to have pitch-bend on the reed tip which is a really good feature. Although not implemented so well in the old Yamaha's.

#15 ·

Hard to tell much from the Roland live demo by the fellow from Jamaica, not the strongest effort
Yep, his videos make the Aerophone look very clumsy and cheesy...they actually turn me off the instrument. Luckily, I saw a video by Alistair Parnell which has made me want to at least check it out. Those Roland videos are really weak.

#16 ·

absolutely, none of these videos makes this sound a desirable instrument to me.

I had the Yamaha WX-5 and in a very far past the Casio, they both rather rapidly bored me and I was not interested enough to keep on playing them.

Again if the synthophone wouldn't be so expensive... .

#18 ·

Not even one of these ROLAND videos would convince me to buy this instruments.

The video above of the Female performer uses at some point a baritone sax effect which is frankly speaking bordering the ridiculous.

Everything that it was demonstrated with it sounds as '80-synth-music as it possibly could appeal someone whom has been seeking to recreate that plastic sound era (and I truly hate that kind of sound).

These implement (I hesitate to call this a " saxophone") from Roland seems to encompass all that I truly loathe in electronic devices without even remotely resembling a true musical instrument.

I can see how this would fit into some soft-jazz-easy-istening context or , as a controller, some very electronic music but not anywhere near anything tat I would find palatable.

There are many such new contraptions around. All rather disappointing let alone expensive.

#19 ·

I'm almost certain that I wouldn't use the onboard sounds if they're all the same quality as I've seen on the videos. I've spent a fortune on speciality soft synths and libraries and all are significantly better. However, I imagine this instrument may kickstart renewed interest in wind controllers, even if the onboard sounds may not appeal to experienced users.

#20 ·

Looks like I'll be sticking with my EWI. Actually I like some of the sounds they demo on the Roland, but to me all those performances are terrible. I guess nobody will come close to Michael Brecker playing an EWI anyway.

#113 ·

Looks like I'll be sticking with my EWI. Actually I like some of the sounds they demo on the Roland, but to me all those performances are terrible. I guess nobody will come close to Michael Brecker playing an EWI anyway.
Alistair Parnell comes close in this YouTube video where he is playing "In A Sentimental Mood" in the background of his Aerophone assessment. In the comments he says he is controlling an ES2 synth with it. Sounds pretty close to Brecker, who can never truly be duplicated. :bluewink2:

#23 ·

I showed pics to my wife and she hates the look of it...says it looks like a toy. She's accustomed to my EWI and WX5.

I wonder how much this thing will cost?

#24 ·

horrible dx7 -like sounds .....
I wonder, how you move on upwards after the palm keys. Do you need altissimo fingerings? Or are the palm keys only one possibility to finger these tones?

#26 ·

On the Patchman forum, Alastair Parnell has mentioned that you can program custom fingerings for notes. I think this might mean that you could program your own altissimo fingerings for notes beyond the palm keys.

#114 ·

On the Patchman forum, Alastair Parnell has mentioned that you can program custom fingerings for notes. I think this might mean that you could program your own altissimo fingerings for notes beyond the palm keys.
The palm keys are just an option. It has an eight octave range and the octave keys look similar to the WX5 layout.

#27 ·

I see it for 659 British pounds on the website for Dawsons Music. Might be more in the USA. Lately I have found that Roland products are cheaper in Europe.

I like the idea of the built in speaker. Roland has very good sounding speakers on the Vaccordion.

#30 ·

I see it for 659 British pounds on the website for Dawsons Music.
<Choke> Convert that to Australian dollars and I feel ill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.