Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aerophone AE-10 – New Roland Wind Instrument

It has USB to transmit MIDI data. One of the settings is which MIDI channel you want to send.

From the manual:

USB COMPUTER port
    Use a commercially available USB 2.0 cable to connect this port to your computer. It can be used to transfer USB MIDI data.

MIDI Transmit Channel Settings (MIDI Transmit Ch)
    This setting specifies the MIDI channel on which the unit will transmit. This unit will receive all sixteen channels (1–16).
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqhHVfNQmHg, how do I tell the soft synth that the AE-10 is the input device? Will it automatically map breath control to volume?

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea. But you can email Roland and ask them a question.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, Martin Handcraft alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Roland Aerophone AE10, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 5D, bunch of other instruments

Forum Contributor 2013-2017 ramcast's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eroxx View Post
    I am also curious about something - if it doesn't have midi out, how can it be used with software synths?
    The Aerophone is USB Class compliant so you hook it up to your computer via the Aerophone USB-B, or to sound modules using a USB- MIDI box. So far, I have only used the built-in sounds and play it as a stand alone instrument hooked up to my PA system. All of your questions I think are better answered/ covered in the Wind Controllers Forum (http://www.patchmanmusic.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=54). You need to sign up like you just did here. Welcome to SOTW.
    Last edited by ramcast; 02-16-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: clarity; typos
    Selmer MK VI alto; King Super 20 tenor; Evette- Schaeffer tenor; P. Mauriat 76 2nd ed. Straight DK Soprano;
    Buescher C Melody tenor; Conn New Wonder 1 C Melody Tenor; Roland Aerophone AE-10 Digital Wind Instrument

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those who are interested, Musician's Friend extended their President's Day discount, which I got to work for the Aerophone by placing a phone order (Roland doesn't allow their gear to be discounted online). When I ordered last week the sales guy said they expected to have units in stock on 2/24, even though the website said 3/3. With the discount it came out to about $670, with free shipping and no tax in NY. Looking forward to my new practice aid.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Souldrum View Post
    With the discount it came out to about $670, with free shipping and no tax in NY.
    Dayum, that's a good deal. Still, I've been having so much fun with mine I'm glad I didn't wait for the deal price.

I've been taking mine to the weekly pro jam and blowing people's minds with its 6-octave range. With the sustain cc, I can play chords. When I switch to the overdriven lead guitar sound, people turn their heads and go WTF is that? The jam leader calls it The Thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I REALLY want one of these but I'm being a good boy and focusing on my Tenor for now. Part of me would like to skip all the hassles of developing a sax embouchure but I keep telling myself it's the right thing to do.
    Last edited by IotaNet; 02-23-2017 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Forum Contributor 2013-2017 ramcast's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IotaNet View Post
    I REALLY want one of these but I'm being a good boy and focusing in my Tenor for now. Part of me would like to skip all the hassles of developing a sax embouchure but I keep telling myself it's the right thing to do.
    Or you can have both! Focus on the acoustic tenor during the day (for proper embouchure and personal sound/style development), and use the Aerophone with earphones at night practicing scales and learning new songs quietly (for finger dexterity)..
    Last edited by ramcast; 02-22-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Selmer MK VI alto; King Super 20 tenor; Evette- Schaeffer tenor; P. Mauriat 76 2nd ed. Straight DK Soprano;
    Buescher C Melody tenor; Conn New Wonder 1 C Melody Tenor; Roland Aerophone AE-10 Digital Wind Instrument

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ramcast View Post
    Or you can have both! Focus on the acoustic tenor during the day (for proper embouchure and personal sound/style development), and use the Aerophone with earphones at night practicing scales and learning new songs quietly (for finger dexterity)..
    Hmmmm ... $1100 for a Tenor Sax and then $800 for an Aerophone. My wife might kick me out of the house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaction View Post
    Hi,

i have mine for nearly a week now. I have a WX11, WX5, EWI 4000s and EWI 5000 and have to so say, that for me personally, the Aerohpone is the best one. I think Roland have done a lot of things right in making their primary focus on a pracitse tool, like providing all the keys including the Palm keys (you dont have to use them ...) Of course it can be used for professional performance just as good or bad as the other ones. The build in sounds to my ear are way better than the EWI 5000's sounds. But I hope Roland will provide an editor that allows you to program your own Patches using all the Parameters the sa-technology gives you (just check the old YouTube clips of the arx-3).

Regards Oliver
    I finally found an opinion from someone with experience with several other brands and types of wind instruments. Thanks for your information.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a WX and VL70m for years but they just sit in the closet. The Aerophone is much more natural for a sax player and it's all self-contained so it's easy to set up and start playing. I play mine through 2 powered speakers (for stereo). Some of the voices are really nice. At last night's jam I used the synth strings voice to solo on "People Get Ready." The guy who called the tune smiled and said, "Yeah!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Swing Affair View Post
    . . . it seems that after the update it is not longer possible to add new fingerings for the AE10?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Belle View Post
    I cant get the alternative fingering in the handbook to work... probably user error, and as for Altissimo fingering? .. No way. Here's hoping that future updates will sort.
    Has anyone managed to get the user customised / alternative fingerings to work, since the 2.0 update?

Being able to alter / add a few fingerings is one of the main things that made me think about buying one, so I'm still not sure if I'm going to. There are a couple of other things, but that's my main concern, at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aerophone AE-10 � New Roland Wind Instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Andy A1S View Post
    Has anyone managed to get the user customised / alternative fingerings to work, since the 2.0 update?

Being able to alter / add a few fingerings is one of the main things that made me think about buying one, so I'm still not sure if I'm going to. There are a couple of other things, but that's my main concern, at the moment.
    Hey, I just made the f# also work from the ring finger (like on flute), so it works. update version 2.00.
    But 10 fingering changes, if it is still as it is said on the website, is not much.
    -
    The main critical point for me is the sensor for lipp pressure. I had my ae10 for 5 weeks in the reparation center, then it indeed worked for about one hour, I could change intonation roughly 1 halfton. I had to press very hard to get it on the maximum, but it worked. So princibly it is possible.
    After that hour it stopped working or worked not in a controllable way. Included was a decline of pitch by breathing stronger.
    The problem seems to be the the sensor itself, which does not go back in his Zero position after the release of pressure.
    And the precise adoption of the Zeropoint with the reed, when it gets not yet any pressure.
    So the only way to use the ae10 sensefully for me in the moment is to set BiteCtrl to OFF (or to Vibrato, maybe, I did not use this yet.)

Nevertheless I still like it. But I´m also thinking about giving it back, and to buy a new one in some months, when hopefully this childrens desease is cured.
    I could play in the meantime 4 or 5 ae10, in no case worked the lip sensor in a really satisfying way, mostly not in a noticable way.

http://www.swing-jazz-berlin.de/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Swing Affair.

I agree - more custom fingerings would be better. I bet if they ditched just one voice, they'd have enough space for half a dozen or more complete sets of fingering mappings - like the various fingering modes of the EWI4000s, but with the ability to customise them. Even so, the ability to tweak just a few of them is a very good thing.

It does sound like it might not be ready yet, though. I wasn't aware of the pitch sensor problems.

I was prepared to put up with a few inexplicable short comings, to get realistic sax fingering, but the more I look into it, the more things I learn about it that I'm not really happy with.

Really, I want a 5 pin DIN MIDI output. I don't care if Roland think it's an outdated idea. I have two Roland romplers, and a Dave Smith Industries Mofo (excellent synth, very wind controller friendly and very responsive). I want to be able to connect them without adding latency, and without pissing about. Even my Casio DH-100 can do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After researching for more than 6 months, today I finally got my Aerophone and after so many reviews of “the plastic toy” I may say I was extremely surprised. First the packaging of the A E10 is “classy” to say the least. It comes inside a sturdily and heavily padded black musician style bag suitable for travel. Inside the bag the AE10 is packed inside another cloth black bag for added protection. The further attention to detail of Roland is noticed by its remarkable wedding style ‘thank you’ card. As an owner of an EWI USB and EWI 5000 I was desperate, more than anything, to listen to the sounds of the AE10 to see if ‘The Toy’ was worth its price. First of all its not plastic but ABS plastic and its not white but Classical Mother of pearl, as my wife said, ‘beautiful but I must forget the way the Akai EWIs looked like and get used to the new look”. Once hooked up and ready to go I listened to the sounds and I was “blown away” I can’t believe how come Akai did not think about these. So far I only Listened to the 3 sax and the 2 flutes and they are all marvelous. I am a Flute player but I took to the Sax fingering with no problems. I did notice the leaking of ‘saliva’ by the reed but after 35 minutes of playing it was not significant. Also contrary to popular believe the AE10 works with any regular AA batteries not only with rechargeable as I read in several postings. I wasn’t so thrill when I got my USB or my 5000, I can only thank Roland for their wonderful step forward in the EWI technology. Yes it does look like a toy, but that’s even better, when I play in public they’ll have the surprise of their lives when they hear the sounds that comes out of it, to me that’s more important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, my AE-10 finally came in on Thursday!

I got it primarily for use as a practice tool and as a controller for my composition work. So far I've mostly been practicing with it to get adjusted to the feel of it, and thankfully it works almost as well as I want it to! ALMOST!

In the short time I've had with it, I've noticed a couple things that perplex me.

1. Sometimes notes don't speak? Occasionally, I'll go to play a note and it simply won't sound. Usually this happens in the middle of a line, so it messes up my train of thought and is rather annoying. This seems to happen with no change to my embouchure or airstream as far as I can tell, and I've been playing sax for a while now so I'm pretty sure I know how to blow into a thing, though I realize the electronics work differently. Maybe I just have to clean the mouthpiece, I've been kinda glued to this thing since I got it. It seems to be happening less and less but it still happens, so I'm wondering if anyone else is having this issue or resolved it entirely?

2. SIDE Bb - Pressing the side Bb key will not only sharp your A as intended, but ALSO your C, B and G in the left hand. These additional alternate trill fingerings are not needed as these notes are already easy to trill with traditional fingerings, but the only one that will likely be bothersome to you is the C that sounds when fingering B+sideBb together, 'cause in passages where you're going from side Bb to B♮, if you don't release the side key and the A key at the same exact time you WILL either hear a quick A or a C in between. I don't need that stress in my life lol. Changed the B+sideBb fingering to a B♮, now it behaves like it's 'sposed. Uses up one of my 10 alternate slots though, I guess?

As far as onboard sounds are concerned, most of them are EHHHHHHH as you probably already know, but there are some usable synth tones.

I'll report on my findings more as I go, especially once I start using it as a controller. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far though. Love being able to practice anywhere when I have a spare couple of minutes.

also first post hi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Tuesday View Post
    1. Sometimes notes don't speak?
    Hello there and welcome!!
    I had a similar problem as well and I also had the AE10 for just 2 weeks. Since I am a flute player my problem and solution may be quite different from yours as you are a Sax player. I also had problems with the keys not functioning as desired and sometime missing sounds, what I found out was the "side keys", those keys on the side of the AE10 that are also used in a Sax, was getting in the way of my flute "fingering". I was accidentally pressing them while pressing the note keys. I'm still dealing with this and getting used to them but I've realized that this is definitely my problem. Hope it helps some.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detective Tuesday View Post
    1. Sometimes notes don't speak? Occasionally, I'll go to play a note and it simply won't sound.
    Mess around with breath settings and see if that changes it. Have you seen the Alistair Parnell vid about adjusting lip response and other parameters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH7xW04E2w&t=595s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Valero007 View Post
    Hello there and welcome!!
    I had a similar problem as well and I also had the AE10 for just 2 weeks. Since I am a flute player my problem and solution may be quite different from yours as you are a Sax player. I also had problems with the keys not functioning as desired and sometime missing sounds, what I found out was the "side keys", those keys on the side of the AE10 that are also used in a Sax, was getting in the way of my flute "fingering". I was accidentally pressing them while pressing the note keys. I'm still dealing with this and getting used to them but I've realized that this is definitely my problem. Hope it helps some.
    I don't suspect it's an issue with fingerings for me. As a sax player it didn't take long to adjust to this thing, though I noticed you have to be VERY strict with your finger movements because if you play a combination that isn't assigned to a note, it will hold the previous note you were playing, for instance playing a D with 123456 and then letting go of 12345 but holding 6 down. That's sorta trippy! Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in transitioning from flute to sax fingerings

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Mess around with breath settings and see if that changes it. Have you seen the Alistair Parnell vid about adjusting lip response and other parameters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBH7xW04E2w&t=595s
    Thanks for providing the link, but I had actually already bookmarked that and went straight to it within minutes of taking mine out of the box. I've been able to set up the bite and breath controls pretty much how I want them. Also cleaned the mouthpiece and all that, but I'm still having an issue where notes just don't come out, which right in the middle of a passage is always quite annoying. It probably only happens on 1 out of every few hundred notes, but that's still way too many right? To be fair, I could still be adjusting to the thing but I've been suspecting it's a hardware defect on this unit. In a few weeks if the issue persists I'll just send it back within the refund period and just get a replacement.

On that note I made damn sure to get this thing with a healthy extended warranty. AE-10, this electronic device that you pour a lot of spit through, is new so of course nobody knows how it holds up over time.

Still having a lot of fun tho. Serves my practice purposes very well!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like it could be a firmware problem, Tuesday.

Since the hardware works most of the time, it quite probably works all of the time, but software is a lot less reliable. The more sophisticated software gets, the less chance there is of it working properly.

It might be worth chasing it up with Roland, as a bug report. Since they've fairly recently released a new firmware, they should still be in the mood to deal with bugs and release another one.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast