Sax on the Web Forum banner

How many members on here own a Full Pearls Silversonic??????

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TurtleJimmy 
#1 ·
I think I have the earliest one ever made. At 281xxx. Series 1 zephyr style pinky stable. Just wanting to see if anyone has any and maybe any earlier. I'll post some updated pics as soon as it gets back from my tech.

What do you guys have?

#4 ·
Earlier this year I acquired a Full Pearls S20, but with brass bell. I think the S/N puts it early 50s. From what I understand there's only a few years that King made Silversonics with full pearls (a rare beast as we've noted by this thread (but I could be wrong)).

#6 ·
I haven't yet owned one, my Super 20 is an early Eastlake with a brass bell and neck. But, I'm looking very seriously at a Silversonic (another early Eastlake horn) that's for sale here locally. It has some pearls, but I'm not sure if it's a full pearl horn (I'll check when I play it next time). It's a beast! It's a very loud horn that plays almost effortlessly everywhere except the bell notes (leaks, probably). My friend who is selling it is getting it adjusted for me to see if those low notes will come out more easily. I may trade my Super 20 (and a Wurlitzer C Soprano) in towards it. The sound of this Silversonic is so much nicer than mine, it's surprising, with a great character to it. We've already talked about the trades and if it comes back from the tech playing easily down low .... I'll probably go for it.

Btw, any thoughts on the fair market value of the Silversonic I'm describing would be greatly appreciated.

Turtle

#7 ·
I haven't yet owned one, my Super 20 is an early Eastlake with a brass bell and neck. But, I'm looking very seriously at a Silversonic (another early Eastlake horn) that's for sale here locally. It has some pearls, but I'm not sure if it's a full pearl horn (I'll check when I play it next time).
The pearls on the palm keys and side keys went away long before the transition to Eastlake.

It's a beast! It's a very loud horn that plays almost effortlessly everywhere except the bell notes (leaks, probably). My friend who is selling it is getting it adjusted for me to see if those low notes will come out more easily. I may trade my Super 20 (and a Wurlitzer C Soprano) in towards it. The sound of this Silversonic is so much nicer than mine, it's surprising, with a great character to it. We've already talked about the trades and if it comes back from the tech playing easily down low .... I'll probably go for it.

Btw, any thoughts on the fair market value of the Silversonic I'm describing would be greatly appreciated.

Turtle
Condition, condition, condition - especially on a horn this old. If the condition of the Silversonic is similar to your Super, and your friend is warm to the idea of a trade, go for it - especially if you actually prefer its character beyond the aesthetics.

#8 ·
Matt, congrats on your rare bird. I've seen pics of a 297xxx and a 295xxx sterling bell with pearl side keys. Yours is by far the earliest I've heard of for that combo, even suspiciously early. I look forward to seeing the photos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.