Sax on the Web Forum banner

Palm D to F fingering

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Maddcow 
#1 ·
Is there an alternate fingering for playing Palm D to Palm F quickly other than using first Palm key for D to all 3 for F? I'm working on a Piece that has a fast alternating passage between these 2 notes and I'd like to make it clearer.

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
I would skip Palm F entirely. You play Palm D and then Front F + 2 for F in one quick movement kinda like a quick roll off from your palm with the index finger and the middle finger pressing down on those two keys. You don't actually even need to use the octave key if you don't want to because on many saxes those altissimo notes play clearer and louder without it. I recently discovered that mine do that and since I already often don't use the octave key to play in the second octave it makes it one less key to deal with.

Along those same lines you can skip Palm D altogether and simply overblow G2 to get D and then play Front F. Practice doing either back and forth and you'll have it licked in no time.

#6 ·
My tenor responds better with the front F if you add middle finger left hand. Quite stuffy using front F alone. So octave key/front F/middle finger (I reckon that's the middle C key, eh?). Very good high F tone. Give that a shot...

(I'll have to see what happens without the octave, now that that's been brought to my attention...)

#13 ·
Is there an alternate fingering for playing Palm D to Palm F quickly other than using first Palm key for D to all 3 for F? I'm working on a Piece that has a fast alternating passage between these 2 notes and I'd like to make it clearer.

Thanks
What piece? Alto? Tenor? Sop?

#14 ·
A palm D to F trill is executed by adding the top RH side key (the key that's added to produce high E, F etc) to palm D, so you could possibly just use that fingering.

EDIT: Gosh, just realised the age of this thread. Sorry for the late addition.

#16 · (Edited)
A palm D to F trill is executed by adding the top RH side key (the key that's added to produce high E, F etc) to palm D, so you could possibly just use that fingering.

Maddcow, I don't get a palm D to F trill by adding the top RH side key. I'm playing tenor--- alto may be different.

However I just discovered a palm D to F trill using the high F# key (although i don't like the awkward location of this key).

#17 ·
Maddcow, I don't get a palm D to F trill by adding the top RH side key. I'm playing tenor--- alto may be different.
Technically, it's a D>E trill but if the passage involves fast 16ths or similar, you can get away with using this fingering.

#15 ·
A very easy D3 to F3 is to overblow G2 for the D and then play F3 by adding the F side key to the G fingering. Technically you don't even need the octave key for either of those notes because the F3 sounds even with G1 and the F side key, but it does sound richer and fuller with the octave key. And of course you can also play between D and E3 by lifting your finger off of the G key while the side key is depressed. So summing up, you can play D, E, and F in any pattern you want much more rapidly and easily just with the G fingering and the F side key added for the E and F, and you don't need to use palm D at all. I find that much more efficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.