Viking
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member. Tzadik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: AttiSound mouthpieces (another moutphiece maker in the ballpark)

I tried the first prototypes he made, few years ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/zaddiq/phot...97343460323218
    https://www.facebook.com/zaddiq/phot...97347916989439

Those are the mouthpiece were base on the same blank Mojo used for his "Vortex" pieces.

I didn't like the finishing (they were just "blank"), I didn't like the material and the form factory (the mouthpiece had a very "squared" frontal sections, which is not the best thing for the lips: you get tired pretty fast, compared to most standard piace which have a more "oval" frontal section for the beak).
    The sound was pretty "rock'n'roll" to me, to be considered a "jazz mouthpiece".

(These were the old piece!)

-----
    I tried a couple of pieces a month ago, the new ones... and the improvement is massive.
    It's unusual to see mouthpiece for a "tight clear" sound nowadays, on the market... but now the mouthpieces are well made, well finished, really easy to play... pretty cheap too!

It's still somewhat annoying for me (personal preference!) to have a such a small (tenor) mouthpiece in mouth... but it's very subjective.

The ligature problem... is actually still a problem here.
    Rovners fit great and work great... but here in Italy it's almost impossibile to find a Rovner 1M/L11 (for the tenor model).

P.S.: Carlo is a monster player, a real hard bopper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    Are you guys saying the mouthpiece is too small for standard ligatures? and does AttiSound make hard rubber pieces? thanks
    Only metal...
    My Rovner Versa fits quite fine on the Viper and gives a sound that I prefer, compared to the Attisound ligature.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

many metal mouthpieces require special ligatures.

Brancher for example needs its own because of its slender shape. Brancher fits the Piliger-Pete Thomas nut also Ponzol.

I was using, at the time I used the Pozol M1 tenor the Francois Louis pure brass for soprano to fit the pice and it did that well.

Other people use an old Selmer ligature for these skender pieces.

In all likelihood Attti has its own but other ligatures such as the ones mentioned above would fit too.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal mouthpieces have different esternal sized compared to hr rubber mouthpiece.

You don't need any special ligature. You need a ligature of the correct size.

In many cases, the sizes are standard. Example: if you take a Rovner Ligature for a tenor Otto Link STM, the same lig will fit on many others metal tenor pieces... many but not every other metal mouthpiece!

Sometimes, somebody comes out with a new mouthpiece with a non-standard external size and this is confusing when you are down to search a ligature.

The tattered remains of the lovely New Jersey Shore.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing the Cobra to other metal pieces that I have, a metal alto Rovner may still be too big. That's how slim and small the Cobra is. The lig that came with a metal Eugene Reglein piece seems to fit, but it's missing the plate and screw so I can't be 100% sure. I may bite the bullet and try a Rovner sop lig. Anyway, thanks for the insights and suggestions everyone, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by sdpeters; 11-12-2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: dumb spelling errors

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very interested in the Attisound mouthpiece, except that I like a wide mouthpiece and usually need to play a hard rubber one for that reason. Does anybody make a similar small chamber tenor mouthpiece that is wide?
    Life is too short for long tones

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very interested in the Attisound mouthpiece, except that I like a wide mouthpiece and usually need to play a hard rubber one for that reason. Does anybody make a similar small chamber tenor mouthpiece that is wide?
    Yeah, these have a pretty small beak profile. About the size of a Guardala I think.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Yeah, these have a pretty small beak profile. About the size of a Guardala I think.....
    Much smaller than a regular Guardala, in size they are about a Berg Larsen "slim line", chamber "0".
    But the shape is comfortable, really small but no sharp edges ( = no pain for the lips!).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Mouthpiece Guru MojoBari's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe try a Runyon Bionix. Otherwise the Vandoren Jumbo Javas are close. The throat is larger than the typical Atti. It could be made smaller with epoxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Brancher semi-rigid hard rubber soprano lig works just fine on the Attisound Cobra. It's surprisingly comfortable for its size. I'm going to give it a little workout this weekend. We'll see if it changes my mind about metal or sways me from my new favorite Rovner Wilkerson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I tried the Cobra out on my Beaugnier Holton Collegiate with the Brancher semi-rigid sop lig. It may be small, but it's a very comfortable mouthpiece for its size. Even without a patch it was comfortable under the top teeth. With a green box Java 1-1/2 (that I've never really played before) I was very impressed with how easily playable it is. It played in tune rather well up and down the octave range. Any variance I chalk up to my primarily playing bari for the last 30 years so I have to work at my embouchure with any alto mouthpiece. The Cobra gave me power and volume when I wanted it. It spoke softly when I asked it to. Upper octaves were bright and not harsh while the low end was clear and didn't sound at all like I was not playing rubber. The brief amount of play time I gave it really wowed me with it's flexibility and just all around impressive sound. I was very pleasantly surprised with how much I liked it.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did a review of the Attisound Black Mamba tenor mouthpiece. Much brighter and edgier than I normally use but played well. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on the heels of the brass Black Mamba by Attisound review, here is the review of the black aluminum Black Mamba for comparison if you are so interested. Both mouthpieces look the same to my eye design wise but the black aluminum was much lighter than the brass. I thought the aluminum was darker and less edgy to my ears. The material? Who knows...........13 reviews to go...........

http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another Attisound tenor saxophone mouthpiece sent to me from Italy that I am reviewing today. It is the Python model. Great playing high baffle mouthpiece with loads of volume and power when pushed. I tried to show a range of what it could do in the clips. http://www.neffmusic.com/blog/2017/0...hpiece-review/

This is a bit fatter sounding than the Black Mambas in my opinion...............Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12