Sax on the Web Forum banner

Saxquest Tenor Mouthpieces

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Mike T 
#1 ·
Has anyone taken the plunge and tried out one of the Saxquest tenor mouthpieces?

What are your thoughts? Are they worth the price of admission?

Thanks for any insight as I'm thinking of trying them out.

#3 ·
I tried one at the JEN convention. It plays a lot like my Early Babbitt Link, but I have an Early Babbit Link.
As far as price, I think they're on the lower end of what guys charge now for stuff that doesn't play as well. As nice as the owner is, I wouldn't be surprised if they have trial period, as all should.

#14 · (Edited)
There's a typo here: the baritone piece is called The Hoss, with an H.

These are HR mouthpieces. I've been playing the tenor version of The Hoss in an 8* tip on my Selmer Mk VI for a couple of months now. It's a great mouthpiece, very easy to blow, and really suits the Mk VI, rounding out the tone . (Coming from a Conn 10M, I found the Mk VI a bit thin initially.)

The 10Mfan Robusto 8* goes better for me on the 10M. They're both great mouthpieces, which is not surprising, seeing that Eric Falcon is responsible for both.

Now I'll have to try The Hoss, baritone version. I wonder how it compares with my old favourite MacSax D-Jazz bari piece, which is no longer in production… ?

#9 ·
I just bought "The Core" in a 7* after reading Neff's review. I've only been playing less than three years so I can't really give an educated review. All I can say is I really like it. It's easy to play and I don't squeak on it. I thought it was a good deal for a hand finished piece. I noticed right away that I'm able to get the lower notes to speak easier on the Core(edited) than on what I had been using, which was an Otto link tone edge 7*.

#11 ·
I've played their tenor piece "The Bridge" in an 8* and it is killer! I can't really compare it to a vintage Slant because I've never played one, but I can compare it to my favorite 10mfan pieces that I play. It's kind of midway between the Merlot and Robusto as far as brightness but with more focus than either. The sound is more "contained" which I associate with the Slant sound, compared to the 10mfan pieces which have a great "broad" quality to them. It's got a great core, tons of color, and feels great to play..... I'm impressed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.