are there any 1/6-notes fingering charts around? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: are there any 1/6-notes fingering charts around?

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    I remember being balance engineer for a recording of an aria from John Eaton's quarter tonal opera 'the Cry of Clytemnestra'. Of all the people on the project only Eaton and the singer (which happened to be his wife) could tell if she was not only singing in tune, but singing the right pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by datsaxman View Post
    HawHawHAw ... and more than a few singers too ...
    I don't have so much experience with microtonal music, but have worked with various tuning temperaments.

However of all the musicians I've recorded, I have found singers to be very good at using non standard intervals, for example being able to differentiate and pitch in meantone if required.

using microtones for expression within tonal music is very common and I always chuckle a little when I see/hear people strive to make a tuner needle hit "0." There are many great performances recorded in jazz and blues in which players are sharp or flat by different amounts- and we may not want t any other way.

In my own recording once I had tools that "improve" the tuning (pitch correction, auto tune, Melodyne and now Flex pitch) I try them out on my saxophone, only to abandon them in favour of the "out of tune" note that works better to my ears. Sometimes as much as 30 cents.

However i would not use fingerings, preferring to use embouchure to affect pitching.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: are there any 1/6-notes fingering charts around?

Quote Originally Posted by bernesax View Post
    i need quite a lot of 1/6-notes and if there's already something around, I would be very glad to have a look at it (especially for baritone sax).
    thanks for any help!
    The Answer is yes/no. At 1/6 of a tone, you're talking 1/3 of a half-step, so 33- cents on a tuner. Between the Netti/Weiss book 1/4, 1/8 tone, and intonation fingerings (as found in Hello, Mr. Sax and elsewhere) you should arrive at a solution.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to let me know. Beyond that it is just practice, I would use your tuner for this, to double check and correct your ear. Practice singing the intervals with the tuner as well so you can hear them better as you're playing to know if they're right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2