Sax on the Web Forum banner

Whats this saxophone playing technique?

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  1saxman 
#1 ·
As usual, been listening to live performances of the great Eddie Harris. Came across this live performance of 'Listen Here' and wondered what playing technique Eddie used at 0:22 in this video? Does anyone know the name of the technique used and how to achieve it?

Many thanks,

#4 ·
I've heard him do that on a few different recordings. I have no idea how he does it. He is using the varitone (?) electric pickup so maybe it's a special effect to do with the electronics. Hopefully someone here will know.

I always loved his playing; saw him live on several occasions, after he quit using the electronics (although he used it to great effect).

p.s. Just saw Pete's post above. Is that what it is Pete? An electric ligature?

#21 ·
In addition to the Varitone and other electronics he used, and simply singing into his horn,
Eddie Harris was also gifted with incredible vocal skills, somewhat like a Tuvan throat singer. He could do amazing things with his voice and vocal chords. Listen to what he does with his voice on "Ambidextrous". Amazing:

#22 ·
It could also be simply an overtone altissimo. Just finger a bell tone and lip it up. I never heard an adult male voice that could make that whistling sound, but I have heard many sax players vocalize while playing. I mean, where you can hear it, along with notes or between notes and not growling. Anyway, I played the vid before reading any comments. My immediate reaction was bending an overtone (full sax) altissimo note. Lots of players did this in the past to make a 'wolf whistle' when a girl walked past the bandstand. Of course, today the witch would call the police instead of smiling and moving on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.