Sax on the Web Forum banner

anyone tried the Gottsu Hibiki from Tenor Madness

14K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Guto 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The Tenor Madness guys tend to only stock mouthpieces they believe in. I was curious because I have never heard of this brand. I have not seen a piece with a long straight baffle that drops into the chamber at this angle combined with a subtle bullet chamber. It does not appear to be a high baffle piece. I wonder how it sounds/responds.

#12 ·
It does not appear to be a high baffle piece.
I would definitely describe the mpc in that photo as a high baffle piece. But of course there is a wide range of possibilities in high baffle pieces, and some baffles are higher than others.

I agree it looks a lot like a Ponzol M2. That's not to say it would necessarily play or sound the same as the Ponzol, just that it's a similar design.

#9 ·
I have one-its the same as the one they have in stock at TM but is an 8 or just over a .110
I got it from the good guys at CE Winds- I play it with a Rovner Platinum. Plays really easy, fast response. I would say it plays just like the description on TM site to be honest. Maybe it won't be your absolute favourite mpc but its not a thin or zingy metallic sounding mouthpiece at all- I prefer a darker sound and I'm happy with this piece for sure-prefer it to my metal otto link which is a 70's piece opened to a .105

#15 ·
I've been playing one since the end of October and I love it! I got it through Tenor Madness on the recommendation of a friend and it's been awesome. It's got just the right amount of brightness without losing a more traditional sound. One thing, I got the 8* but it really only measures out to be around a 7*. The Gottsu website says the 8* is a .106 tip opening.

#17 ·
I've been playing one since the end of October and I love it! I got it through Tenor Madness on the recommendation of a friend and it's been awesome. It's got just the right amount of brightness without losing a more traditional sound. One thing, I got the 8* but it really only measures out to be around a 7*. The Gottsu website says the 8* is a .106 tip opening.
Nothing wrong with Gottsu using a system other than that common to Otto Link, but good to know.

#16 ·
Anything come to mind as comparisons to this piece? For example: looks a little like a Ponzol M2 as far as the baffle design, but less edge than the M2? Any other comments on the play-ability and tone character would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance ...

#20 ·
Old thread...I was not looking for a mouthpiece - super happy with my old STM, but on a whim I just picked up one of these from Simon at Tenor Madness and thought it was worthy of a quick review. Something about the look of it and the description of it - "a mashup of a Berg and Link" - made me want to try one - that plus they are very reasonably priced.

As others have said Gottsu has its own tip measuring system and this 7* is about a .100 tip. Bare brass does not really bother me, so that was not an issue. I tried a Francois Louis ligature and found it fit beautifully. The shank on this is similar to that of a vintage STM Link, so if you are using one of them you needn't re-cork to use this.

Immediate impressions confirmed the Berg/Link description of the sound - but that really doesn't completely describe it. While it will definitely not displace my Link as my main piece, this one really is a lot of fun to play and it is a serious mouthpiece. The big surprise given its design is that it really is not bright at all. It is middle of the road-to dark, but it has a lot of power and projection. That crazy baffle makes you think it's gonna be real bright - but if you look closely at it it looks more like a salad bowl when it drops off at the throat - insane and kinda funny! Never seen anything quite like it - and no it doesn't look like a Ponzol-type piece after all. Rails are nice and thin, and the mouthpiece is decidedly heavier that a Link - a hunk of brass this... While it lacks the refinement, warmth and color of a vintage STM Link, the Gottsu HIBIKI for sure is loud; if you are frustrated and need some volume this might work for you. But it is not a paint peeler - it is capable of warmth and you really can push it without it thinning out too much or being too bright.

This will get some action for sure. The price point makes it a flat out good deal. If you are looking for something different you might want to give this one a try. They have a very fair 5-day trial period. Be sure to get the right tip opening - easy player and lots of fun. Who knew?

#23 ·
I finally was able to try one of these at the Navy Band Saxophone Symposium this past weekend. Tenor Madness had two 8s and one 8* to try. I was very impressed with this piece, so much so that I ended up buying the 8*. I was surprised at how Link like a tone I was able to produce given the step baffle, bowl chamber combo. It really is like a Link with more power. I find it to be more of a medium dark tone, not bright at all. I tried the Ponzol M2 in the past and I recall it being much brighter. It is more similar to my Warburton LA but a little darker and a little more focused. I find the dynamic range is impressive, I could play very softly and the tone did not lose depth and I could put a ton of air through it and the sound did not get spread and diffuse. I think the baffle provides power but the large chamber, rounded bowl cutout gives the piece the warmth of a link. I think I am going to play this one as my main piece for a while and see where it goes. Thanks to Simon of Tenor Madness for helping me pick this piece. He who knows his stuff and is an all around great guy.

#26 ·
I've got a gold plated Hibiki 7* very recently. Being a long time Link player, I'm finding it a really fun mouthpiece! I agree with kings20, the best word to describe it is versatile.
Middle of the road between dark and bright, it responds fast and projects really well when pushed a little. Besides, its craftsmanship is really exceptional, at a very reasonable price tag.

#27 ·
I had a Gottsu Hibiki which I sold and regret. It was a great MPC, very reed friendly and really well done. I highly recommend it.

I also tried the Sepia which it was excellent, different sound but well made. Both of these MPCs are Link type of sound and the Hibiki is a little darker, very nice sound.

I believe all Gottsu MPCs are very well made.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

#32 ·
Thanks to all above for your replies. I contacted Gottsu and they've stated 24mm so to you Guto thanks very much for your trouble, greatly appreciated :) I am seriously considering a Silverstein ligature. Silverstein have advised to order a Custom lig and specify size so 23.77 to 23.90mm - 24mm sounds fine as their new ligs are resizable up or down one size according to Silverstein.

Speaking of Gottsu - I have exchanged numerous mails with them and their prompt and courteous replies have been a delight. Unfortunately, due to this Zombie Apocalypse that has engulfed the planet, the Japanese government has suspended all International outbound mail to many parts of the world. While FedEx courier services are still functioning the costs are prohibitive eg: 20,000 Yen / $260AUD / $190USD - as of time of writing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.