Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reed Booster?

Forum Contributor 2016-17 StanVI's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Reed Booster?

You guys go ahead and use it, I'm staying with the snake oil and voodoo dust....makes my reeds last forever....until they crap out....
    Mark VI soprano, Runyon smooth bore 9 Mark VI alto, NY Meyer 8
    Mark VI tenor, Ben Allen 20D 8, Phil Tone Mosaic 7*, Runyon Jaguar 8,
    Lien Chang curvy sop,

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm satisfied with the basic sax-mp-reed formula, but for fun, like someone mentioned, it looks like you could find something similar in the crafts section for experimenting. It looks too small to change the throat area, and the air speed is too slow (as mentioned) to be a fluids or flow factor. Its not affecting the stiffness in the recommended location either. Must be mass loading the reed - has anyone checked the note with the mouthpiece solo, or just on the neck? That would confirm.
    Best, Jim

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhol111964 View Post
    Must be mass loading the reed...
    Yeah, the mass loading thing again (where have I heard that one before? ).

I said I'd give this a try with a piece of tape, but man I'm having trouble with the idea of sticking something on the back of a reed! Seems to be a force field or something preventing me from doing it. Maybe tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    I said I'd give this a try with a piece of tape, but man I'm having trouble with the idea of sticking something on the back of a reed! Seems to be a force field or something preventing me from doing it. Maybe tomorrow.
    I wonder if a cut out from a mouthpiece patch would better approximate the Reed Booster? The Booster seems to have some thickness to it.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    Yeah, the mass loading thing again (where have I heard that one before? ).

Watch that force field when you try it - or it will destructively interfere with the boosters' coronal field emmitance patterns and render your blind fold test useless....
    Best, Jim

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jhol111964 View Post
    Watch that force field when you try it - or it will destructively interfere with the boosters' coronal field emmitance patterns and render your blind fold test useless....
    My thoughts exactly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Just W-O-W. What's that old saying? "There's a sucker born every minute"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a chance (actually, was pressured, to be honest) to try these out for free at the JEN conference in NoLa, and to my great surprise they made a noticeable and desirable impact. On the reeds that I really like, it made them play just a little bit better, but on the reeds I was less fond of it improved them substantially.

I expected they would make the sound brighter, but this wasn't the case. If anything, they took some of the buzz out of the sound, and made the overall quality smoother and clearer. This was especially noticeable to me in the midrange left hand notes and going across the octave break. Also, sub-toning is a little easier, dynamics are a bit wider, and articulation/response was a bit faster and cleaner.

Moving them back and forth a bit (closer to/farther from the tip of the reed) yields different results, with more brightness and punch the closer you stick the thing to the tip.

The issue for me is price - at $15 for ten of them it seems very expensive. Fortunately, I've been greatly enjoying Legeres for the past 2-3 years, so one of these doodads will do for quite a while, assuming the adhesive doesn't give out quickly (which I suppose I will learn soon enough). The reed case compatibility is tricky too - I'll need to figure out exactly what works best because a reed with a booster on it won't fit in a standard reed case, and the case that they supply to accommodate 1 booster-ed reed fits very loosely with the thinner design of Legeres...

So, I initially like them quite a bit and will be trying to resolve the reed case issue.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, everybody! For those of you who are making fun of it without doing so, I might ask this question: How could putting something on your reed and inside your mouthpiece NOT make a difference? Whether you like the change would be a more relevant discussion...and of course, everyone will have a different experience, I am just sharing mine. I did speak to one other player getting her degree (PhD? DMA?) who somewhat sheepishly asked me if I'd tried them because her experience was akin to mine - strong skepticism, positive experience, terror of excommunication for admitting she liked them...LOL

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this is easily applied and taken off, it will be relatively easy to make a series of controlled test which, I think, should have been provided by the maker in their advertising claims to support these hardly meaningful pseudo-scientific language they use on their site.

“ Simply press a new, adhesive-backed Reed Booster onto a fresh reed and your whole set-up transforms, as if on steroids. The magic of Reed Booster is not magic at all—it’s physics. By displacing mass on the reed, the Bernoulli Effect—the same force which keeps airplanes in the air—is harnessed. The airstream around the Reed Booster speeds up and with it a pressure differential is established within your mouthpiece’s chamber....”

First of all, Bernoulli effect is NOT all this certainly ( and only in a very minor way) holding planes up in the air (http://www.physicsmyths.org.uk/bernoulli.htm https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/bernnew.html http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...rplanes-to-fly ) but it does certainly exist and influences the movements of fluids, but although it undoubtedly exists, it does so NOT it the way these people ( whom so easily tell us they understand the physics of this gizmo) claim to understand its workings.

How can one use a principle badly explained and applied without a formal theory in order to explain something that they probably don’t understand?

But that doesn’t mean that this “ thing” won’t do anything. It will most certainly do something, somewhere, somehow.

Putting something on your reed will certainly make a difference, as much as take something off your reed ( remember people drilling holes or placing grooves in a reed?) the question is will it improve and more importantly, why?

Years ago I tried drilling holes in the reeds and it most certainly did shorten the lifespan of my reeds, various claims since the ’30 that grooves would be improving the sound never resulted in a permanent way we shape our reeds though.

Anyway, when one introduces a product one needs to provide some proof backing up any claim, even more so when based on physics, if there is such a claim then proof will ne necessary, not quite so if one claims more emotion, but we’ve been there already.

In my opinion anything that starts its life with the idea we ADD something ( with the purpose of selling it of course!) to anything in order to create a product that we can sell and we make scientific claims to support its use should:

1) provide a theoretical base which constitutes the base of their invention

2) provide sufficient tests conducted ideally by an independent institute of learning.

Anyway, Mr. Neff will test this, I hope that the tests will be conducted under the minimum requirements for a blind experiment. Should he want to do this correctly Ms. Hakukani is an expert in scientific testing and can approve the methodology from the height of her scientific experience.

This gizmo appears to be simply a pice of black adhesive plastic silicone.

It isn’t at all clear to me whether this has any special shape other than being a disk of self adhesive material of a certain thickness. At best it has the same circular pattern used by adhesive bumper disks commonly for sale everywhere for peanuts and that you put under certain surfaces to prevent things scratching a table.

Correct me please if I am wrong but why should I spend $20 for this so called product of their own when identical things (in all colors and shapes) cost way less?

could anyone explain why they should cost 20 times as much as these

The only explanation might be that the bumpers sold by reed booster are the fruit of incredible research ( which would then have been made and could be provided? Right?)

The research needed to back up this claim? That it trancforms a reed you would normally throw out into an object of the JET-AGE (whatever that is!)

From this video (aside from the same pseudo science used to explain a principle that they don’t understand) I don’t see or understand anything other than they took one adhesive bumper, as shown above, and tried their luck at selling it at way inflated price, making claims that aren’t backed by anything than words. Those are not tests they are jokes.

Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Maybe they have done some extensive testing that proves this claim ???
    I found a one in a million reed that played oh so beautifully I coated it in clear resin and put it in a show case I am sure it will last a lot longer now
    never a dull moment when playing your horn

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reed booga.
    Ive got a nose full of them.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    OMG, not another one of these things?

Oh yes, one more...
    Jesus loves You!
    Alto Eagle SA 500VG || Barkley POP Kustom #8 || Légère Studio Cut 2.5
    Tenor Jupiter JTS-587GL || Barkley MS #8 || Légère Studio Cut 2.5

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for their customers, there is one born every day!
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=B Flat;2621409]Reed booga.

Best comment yet.

The beauty of this is that boogers are free, readily available, self-adhering and easily removable. In addition they provide a nutritious after-gig snack should you feel a bit peckish. After all, as children many said it's candy.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please try this experiment with blu-tack and report back with your results. You can try various size blu-tack buttons, but make sure they are relatively small. Try it on some soft buzzy reeds you might otherwise discard.
    My experiment was surprisingly positive/good!

Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie7 View Post
    Set your expectations sufficiently low, and you'll never be disappointed.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie7 View Post
    Please try this experiment with blu-tack and report back with your results. You can try various size blu-tack buttons, but make sure they are relatively small. Try it on some soft buzzy reeds you might otherwise discard.
    Exactly!

For a whole lot of really smart people on this forum, I'm amazed at how readily this very simple/obvious/pragmatic step of "try it before you judge it" is deemed totally unnecessary.

Of course the cost of this particular product IS way too high, so your suggestion is a good one. I know the only reason I tried it is because it was free!

And before everyone accuses me of being some kind of sucker/bumpkin/mental deficient, I have been playing for 23 years, professionally for 15, have a masters in sax performance and teach in a university music department, so there's a decent amount of experience and training behind my evaluation...

Distinguished SOTW Member 1saxman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They talk about 'air flow' in the aerodynamic sense; it doesn't happen in a sax or mouthpiece and that little rounded thing will not create a low-pressure area in the mouthpiece. All they are doing is adding a baffle but on the reed instead of the mouthpiece. Because a resilient object is stuck to the reed, it will tend to dampen the reed. I do not need to try this or the 'nodal stones' either.

Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So much for sanding the table of the reed to make it flat, due to swelling.

This gizmo intends to exacerbate it... unbelievable.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experimenting with the blu-tack, I found the upper register was greatly improved on a soft reed.

To all the doubters ............ Most of the legendary giants of jazz saxophone have experimented with unorthodox techniques/equipment......that is fact..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast