Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Reed Booster?

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie7 View Post
    Experimenting with the blu-tack, I found altissimo was greatly improved on a soft reed.

To all the doubters ............ Most of the legendary giants of jazz saxophone have experimented with unorthodox techniques......that is fact..
    Many of them used drugs too, but that doesn't make it a credible endorsement.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear that there is a very nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn ......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxphil View Post
    So much for sanding the table of the reed to make it flat, due to swelling.

This gizmo intends to exacerbate it... unbelievable.
    No - sanding the table of the reed to get it flat is so that it seals well with the table of the mouthpiece. This gizmo attaches to the back of the reed closer to the tip of the mouthpiece, so it is in the window area of the mouthpiece, not against the table which would obviously make the setup 100% unplayable.

I talked to Dave Kessler about it Monday (had a layover in Vegas), telling him I was surprised it worked, and he thought it might be because it makes for a smoother transition into the chamber. At any rate he was polite about it. Anyway, who knows why it's doing what it's doing, but it is definitely doing something not insignificant (at least for me, ymmv). It's really strange to hear all these people who have not tried it

A) explain with certainty that it cannot possibly work (while the physics involved in saxophoning are extremely complex and yet to be fully understood, AFAIK)

and

B) completely disregard the fact that in this thread, the only people who have tried it are saying it definitely works for them.

I agree that the price is ridiculous. You are of course free to be skeptical, and nobody is obligated to try any equipment, but it's a weird to dynamic that comes across as...obstinate, let's say.

Distinguished SOTW Member B Flat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Jazz Is All;2621453]
    Quote Originally Posted by B Flat View Post
    Reed booga.

Best comment yet.

The beauty of this is that boogers are free, readily available, self-adhering and easily removable. In addition they provide a nutritious after-gig snack should you feel a bit peckish. After all, as children many said it's candy.
    They also have the added benefit of being usable as palm key risers or to seal around a loose neck tenon.
    I often use a small booga to help keep my sheet music from flying off the stand.
    What's more is they are reusable, just moisten in mouth and off you go.
    Environmentally friendly as well.
    Great for bite plates, removable baffles you name it.
    Sent from my iPhone using poor grammar and literacy skills.
    Quality Wrought Iron & (mediocre Sax Playing)
    www.warpironworks.com.au

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

selective reading (or, as I suspect, no reading at all)

this is what I wrote

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post

But that doesn’t mean that this “ thing” won’t do anything. It will most certainly do something, somewhere, somehow.
    Putting something on your reed will certainly make a difference, as much as take something off your reed ( remember people drilling holes or placing grooves in a reed?) the question is will it improve and more importantly, why?
    If you add or remove material from the reed especially in the inside of the chamber there will certainly be an effect. Whether it would be a positive one is a different matter.

This is nothing else, as 1stsaxman wrote, than a baffle and as such it will modestly brighten the sound while dampening the reed.

The most important of the questions are, is this an improvement?

The second consideration is, even if this were an improvement why buying something at that price while you can buy the same thing for almost no money?

Silicone Bumpers cost almost nothing and come in all shapes and sizes.

Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasali View Post
    . It's really strange to hear all these people who have not tried it

A) explain with certainty that it cannot possibly work (while the physics involved in saxophoning are extremely complex and yet to be fully understood, AFAIK)
    Maybe you are looking for an argument where there is none.

I haven't seen anyone say it cannot possibly work. I think everyone agrees it can work in that it will significantly change the sound of your saxophone playing.

Plenty of people are objecting to their marketing, and you don't need to have tried it to have an opinion on that.

Also people are listening to the comparison sound examples and commenting, again you don't need to have tried it to do that.

I am interested in trying it, and to be fair to the company, I won't base my opinions on a DIY alternative, but on the real thing as advertised.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@milandro Yeah, I will have a look in my local hardware store or online. Will you be trying this out? You can shape blu-tack to various dimensions and sticks to a DRY reed quite well. Altering the position along the 'heart' area, also changes response/tone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do own some of these bumpers in the right size already and I can try easily try them, however , as written above, the chance that this has a positive effect is next to none.

It will have an effect nonetheless., most probably a negative one. I don’t need to brighten my sound and add dead mass to my reed.

Should anyone think they want to try this kind of thing and spend money for not much in return, there is also another product on the market which was meant to add a “ baffle” inside the mouthpiece

The main problem with any added gizmo is that those who seek to sell them (it is always selling) always come up with the gizmo first (in this case it is obvious that it was a product already on the market) rather than having a theory based on some science and then developing and VERIFYING the theory.
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said earlier, I wouldn't doubt it could do something to the sound. I'm not inclined to try it though because I don't want to mess around adding things to my reeds. The reeds are already somewhat variable and inconsistent as any player knows, so why add another variable?

It kind of makes sense that this thing could act as a baffle. I don't know if that's the case, but if so and if you want a brighter sound, why not get a different mpc? Again, so you don't have to stick something (that costs money) on each and every reed you use.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    It kind of makes sense that this thing could act as a baffle.
    I think you are right there as it will (1) obviously make the volume smaller, as does a baffle. But the fact that it is stuck to the vibrating end of the reed will (2) very possibly/probably have some other effect. But either way, I don't think it can be related to Benouli.
    Tone Without Tears: No more boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    But the fact that it is stuck to the vibrating end of the reed will (2) very possibly/probably have some other effect.
    Yeah, that was the first thing that occurred to me; you are sticking it on a part of the reed that is vibrating. It's not clear just what that would do, but intuitively it seems to me it would dampen the vibration to some extent. But I'll admit I don't know.

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deleted. Double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies if I came across as argumentative - not my intent. I did generalize, and I can see how that can have a putting words into others' mouths sort of effect, so sorry about that.

I thought it would be basically a baffle as well, which is part of why I had no interest in trying it, as I am always going for a darker/less edgy tone. I also thought it might make the sound brighter by making the chamber area smaller, and have modified my mouthpiece to make the chamber larger because I dislike the tightness and brightness of a smaller chamber.

However, it did not act exactly like a baffle or a small chamber, and actually had something of the opposite effect in tone quality (smoother, less edgy). It does seem to add more power like a baffle though, as far as I can tell from behind the horn. It definitely FEELS better, though it may well be that the perceptible difference to someone listening is negligible, as it can be with so many of the variables in a saxophone setup (ligatures, reflectors, finish etc).

I would definitely advise the company to lower the price significantly, and to focus some more time on offering a better solution for storing "boosted" reeds, as right now those are two pretty significant hurdles for anyone interested in or fond of the product. I will be picking up some self-adhesive silicone bumpers at a hardware store and trying them out - if there's a 1000% cost savings and they work the same why not?
    Last edited by lukasali; 01-12-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You see this is the problem with any gizmo.

Even if it works at some level ( although perhaps not as an improvement) as this “ Reed Booster" gizmo or the neck “ enhancer” might be doing, it only ever pays back to charge a substantial amount of money compared to cost price.

Suppose, as I do, that this is a rubber or silicone bumper which the “ inventor” has found in an hardware shop and it is normally used for many other applications.

Someone at this company quite by chance just happened to stick one on a reed and then constructed a story around it to sell.

They wouldn’t ask the hardware store prie.

It is a bit like the mouthpiece protecting materials. Their cost, once it is used as mouthpiece patch, is absolutely disproportional compared to the cost price of the adhesive material used to make them.

Yet if they were cheaper they would sell not better and wouldn’t be worth anyone’s while.

Years ago, I have bought few meters of adhesive material from a reputable wholesale seller. It works better and lasts longer than any mouthpiece patch on the market and cost pennies.

To date the only performance enhancing gizmo which didn’t work but was talked about by a former member of this board, is the P.Ligging.

This was a piece of leather string tied around the neck of the saxophone. Its “ inventor” put to us that it would work.

The only advantage was that it costed absolutely nothing and could have be rather dapper a decorative element on your sax.

Several even tried and, as predictable, didn’t work.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...imp-your-sound

Ask yourself why any performance enhancing gizmo implies ADDING something that can be sold to you? How come no one has started taking away mass ( take the lyre screw away rather then selling a new heavy mass lyre screw) to improve sound?

Because adding means selling and selling is all they want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I'm a little late to this party, but it was sure fun to read. After spending WAY too many hours here (2 years) as I watch TV I've learned enough to understand about mouthpiece volume, baffles, the versatility of blue tack, and most of all, the wisdom of not knocking something before you've tried it (see my posts on mid-sixties Buescher 400 tenors!)

And, as someone suggested smoothing the airflow at the back of the mouthpiece window, why not, instead of a round dot, a crescent shaped wedge in that spot; dampening the reed, brightening through reducing volume, AND reducing those nasty eddies that must surely be caused as the airflow hits that edge at the back of the window.

But, why I really chimed in was to add a bit of humor when I'm usually dead serious. Of all the previously mentioned already available devices that might work as well, especially when someone mentioned candy that could be eaten at the end of practice, the old guy in me drifted back to those days at the penny candy counter where a dime bought a little white bagful, how about those long strips of wax-paper with hundreds of those hemispherical sugar dots, wouldn't they work after a good licking of the backside?? Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Someone did say, early on, "this could get ugly".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've just received a pack of these, a very brief initial test was a bit inconclusive - I couldn't actually tell any difference which surprised me. I'll do some further testing and maybe make some recordings if I can be bothered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a friends set up and he uses these with a fake plastic reed and it played better than I though it would.
    Maybe it gets rid of some of the annoying uneven vibrations in artificial reeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I've just received a pack of these, a very brief initial test was a bit inconclusive - I couldn't actually tell any difference which surprised me. I'll do some further testing and maybe make some recordings if I can be bothered.
    Why did it surprise you? Did you actually expect it do do anything other than vacuum some cash out of your bank account?......Well you got them free, but that is the result for the rest of us non-pros.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reed Boosters ? Hogwash !!

I'll stick with my BG Franck Bichon "Reed Performers," thank you very much.

Their "extra layer imitates reed fibers." You simply "attach the Reed Performer on the curved part of the reed." The Reed Performer "improves sound," gives a "warmer sound," "removes fuzzy sounds," is "more stable through all registers" and "stabilizes thin cane & synthetic reeds." "Use on good dying reeds and new defective reeds." And in addition, each Reed Performer is "reusable on several reeds," until the adhesive wears out.

They really improve the sound, especially in conjunction with the little brass doorknob yokumibob I keep attached to my lyre-holder:

NO MORE LONG TONES FOR ME !
    "Sans musique, la vie serait une erreur" - Friedrich Nietzsche.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Reed Boosters ? Hogwash !!

I'll stick with my BG Franck Bichon "Reed Performers," thank you very much.

Their "extra layer imitates reed fibers." You simply "attach the Reed Performer on the curved part of the reed." The Reed Performer "improves sound," gives a "warmer sound," "removes fuzzy sounds," is "more stable through all registers" and "stabilizes thin cane & synthetic reeds." "Use on good dying reeds and new defective reeds." And in addition, each Reed Performer is "reusable on several reeds," until the adhesive wears out.

They really improve the sound, especially in conjunction with the little brass doorknob yokumibob I keep attached to my lyre-holder:

NO MORE LONG TONES FOR ME !
    Yes those are a real wonder, Mike. I was given a packet at the master class led by Alex Terrier a year ago. When I finally figured out what you are supposed to do with them I discovered their magical properties and was really happy I had been given them. They work perfectly......to shim up the reed under a two-screw lig that closes up too soon and so is not tight enough. I used to use a couple layers of masking tape but it got messy and sticky and using a piece of mpc patch was wasteful, so these turned out to be perfect and you can double them up if the gap between the lig and reed is too great for one alone to work.

Best of all it improved my sound because a loose lig makes the reed play badly and these correct that. So I'm so happy the BG discovered this fantastic sound enhancing booster things because I have had so many more compliments since I started using them. I'm sold on this amazing invention. WOW!!!
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast