Uh-oh. This is going to get ugly.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Reed Booster?

Listening to these comparison clips I think the sound sounds better without the reed booster. With it it sounds dampened and duller I thought........Oh well.......Never mind..........

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me say this, as one of the major skeptics on this board:

It actually looks like something that could work, with a plausible, but still to be proven, scientific explanation behind it. Unlike some of the devices that have been discussed on here lately. I remain skeptical, but it might be worth a try; or for no cost, you could probably just cut out a piece of tape at different thicknesses and experiment around.

This sort of thing falls into the category of something to try and decide for yourself. It also would be subject to the 'expectation' or placebo effect. In any case I think it could just as easily affect the reed negatively (by dampening it) as positively.

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see buy that it will change tone. I wont venture to guess if it is better or worse. I wont bother to check myself. Frankly, it looks like something you could make by cutting out some self adhesive dense felt with a hole punch or from a sheet of rubber...or those little bumpers you can buy to keep kitchen cabinets from slamming.

I wont call this one complete snake oil but I do not buy for a second that it lengthens reed life. Maybe it makes a reed stay brighter by changing the way it vibrates but that is not making a reed last longer IMHO. Again, I do believe it will make a difference in tone but its really subjective if it delivers the changes claimed. After all, tonal range and clarity are in the ears of the beholder. Someone will try them..it will be interesting to get that opinion.

It is a lot easier than practicing.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post
    Listening to these comparison clips I think the sound sounds better without the reed booster. With it it sounds dampened and duller I thought........Oh well.......Never mind..........
    To me it sounded like you would expect if you stick something to the inside of the reed. Not very nice.

And (correct me if I'm wrong) the Bernoulli effect would be minimal at the kind of airspeed involved in playing an instrument. I believe the human cough or sneeze can be up to 50 mph, however I doubt that the speed of air on a reed in normal playing is anything even close to that. Maybe 10 - 20 miles an hour. How many conventional aeroplanes planes can take off at that speed?

I think the physics quoted in the marketing may need some closer scrutiny as a saxophone reed is not the same thing as a wing.

Plus there is an intersting claim of "more tone" I wonder what exactly does that mean? Although I agree the toe may be different, but is it more? is it better?
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    I think the physics quoted in the marketing may need some closer scrutiny as a saxophone reed is not the same thing as a wing.
    +1.

I think you and Phil nailed it: Anything you do to the reed could very well change the sound, but whether or not it's for the better is the question. And no way am I buying that attaching something to the reed could make it last longer.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    And no way am I buying that attaching something to the reed could make it last longer.
    Maybe they have done some extensive testing that proves this claim ???
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me if you thicken the vamp of the reed you basically enhance the upper register and get less in the lows...basically they way a shorter facing enhances the high ranges of the horn. So it seems like a little object to rebalance a reed. That is just my gut feeling as to how it alters tone. Could be interesting but I'm not paying 20 bucks for dots to find out
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to assume the claims about the reed booster are marketing nonsense until proven otherwise, but has anybody tried the reeds? They might be OK, though the 'reed booster' hype does a lot to lessen the credibility of the claims for the reeds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm willing to assume the claims about the reed booster are marketing nonsense until proven otherwise, but has anybody tried the reeds? They might be OK, though the 'reed booster' hype does a lot to lessen the credibility of the claims for the reeds. [I see in another thread that awholley did try them and the overall impression was 'meh', ok for marching band, probably not if you want a 'professional' quality sound]

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Maybe they have done some extensive testing that proves this claim ???
    Here's their extensive research on whether it increases the life of the reed: "Most intermediate players report that reeds last longer with Reed Booster, too."

Now, in all fairness, that's all they said about the reeds lasting longer, so they aren't necessarily claiming it as a fact.

I would admit that the only way to find out if it does anything you like would be to try it. Not sure I want to spend the $20, but I might stick a dot of tape on a reed and see what happens (and no, I'm not saying that would be a fair test of the actual product, but it might yield some info).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG, not another one of these things?

'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Forum Contributor 2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should do a review with these, the buzz screw and the Klangbogen thing. Then again, maybe my horn would explode...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should do a review with these, the buzz screw and the Klangbogen thing. Then again, maybe my horn would explode...........
    I think you should, a fully gadget modified saxophone review.

I wish I had enough imagination to think up one of these bogus, er, I mean enhancing sound gadgets and market it. You could maybe make some bucks for awhile. Plastic stick on dots, they probably do something but who knows what it is. Aerodynamic engineering.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going to do it, go full steampunk.
    Sop: SA80II - Barone Vintage 7
    Alto: MKVI 56k - Barone NY5M
    Tenor: MKVI 127k - Barone Jazz 7*
    Bari: 12M Tranny 259k - Barone-modified HR Link 0.110" / Morgan Double-Chamber 8

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you could add in one of those necks with the adjustable weights. Or a resonance stone... For sure the various spirits would fight with each other; maybe the end result would be faster air from all the swashbuckling.

I wonder how the Reed Booster would do on a reed with a hole drilled in the vamp...
    Steve Keller
    Straight ahead and strive for tone

Forum Contributor 2011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skeller047 View Post
    Maybe you could add in one of those necks with the adjustable weights. Or a resonance stone... For sure the various spirits would fight with each other; maybe the end result would be faster air from all the swashbuckling.

I wonder how the Reed Booster would do on a reed with a hole drilled in the vamp...
    I imagine after all the aftermarket "enhancements" are in-place, the review might looks something like this...
    Sop: SA80II - Barone Vintage 7
    Alto: MKVI 56k - Barone NY5M
    Tenor: MKVI 127k - Barone Jazz 7*
    Bari: 12M Tranny 259k - Barone-modified HR Link 0.110" / Morgan Double-Chamber 8

SOTW Columnist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skeller047 View Post
    That was one of the first things that occurred to me. At one time we had the idea of drilling a crater in the vamp, now it's adding a 'speed bump' on the back of the reed just above the vamp. In most cases anything I've tried to do to a reed (aside from a bit of sanding or scraping) has just messed it up.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast