Sax on the Web Forum banner

Grande Supreme Bari mouthpiece

9K views 55 replies 16 participants last post by  Bob M 
#1 ·
Any one tried one of these? whats the sound like?

#10 ·
The e-mail that I got confirming my order said 4-weeks, which matches my previous experience ordering mouthpieces from Mouthpiece Cafe. as far as I know, they don't stock them but rather make them to order.

#15 ·
I customer service doesn't respond, why not send an e-mail directly to either Erik or Brian?

#17 ·
Is this a Baritone Sax mouthpiece? I was interested and went to the website to look at this mouthpiece. It is priced the same as the Alto Mouthpieces, but there is no mention nor picture of the mouthpiece like there is of the other mouthpieces that are sold there. The website also indicates that the mouthpiece will be available in July 2016. The website does say that it can take 4 weeks to get a piece, but in some of the fine print it looks like 8 weeks are more likely.

I am, so far, not impressed with the website, the mouthpiece description, the reviews of the company, and currently would not even think of trying this mouthpiece unless I found it on the shelf elsewhere.

I have to ask what is the deal? I am not sure why any of you would order from this place. What am I missing? I am honestly curious and confused.

#18 ·
Eric and Brian both apprenticed with Frank Morgan for many years and are considered to be two of the best mouthpiece facers/refacers in the business. Their website is out-of-date sometimes but I've never read anything but good reviews of their mouthpieces. They offer a custom boutique level product at a very reasonable price. Overall they are a couple of stand-up guys who run a fair business with very few complaints- really no reason not to buy from them if they have a design that interests you.

#21 ·
Ralph Morgan, the late great mouthpiece maker, not Frank Morgan, the late great alto player.

#19 ·
Yes, their website is not the slickest. Just OK photos and well, I've never had a timely response , or no response, from their customer service person who handles the "front end" so the guys can focus on design and production etc.

I received the bari piece at about 5 weeks + out, yesterday. Of course, its absolutely perfect looking; nothing but absolute symmetry and great "fit and finish". Its got a fair amount of initial baffle, rolling over to a slight bullet going into what I think is a fairly large chamber; very little under the table. Scooped sidewalls. Its overall shorter (a good thing) than my current Sakshama balanced/faced then me-modified Runyon style "Martin" stock HR piece (small baffle added/reduced chamber size)

will play a bit and return with some impressions

#24 · (Edited)
#29 ·
High Fly,

I have some questions about your last post. First, which tip opening did you get of this mouthpiece? Are you willing to write a review of this here? If you do, please let us know what kinds of reeds and their strengths you used. Did the company ever get back to you? Did you get it on trial? Could you post a few pictures of this mouthpiece here?

These guys seem to have a good pedigree for making mouthpieces, but their customer service problems seem like a hindrance to doing business with them.

For me, price of product or service is not as much of an issue as customer service. Few places have great customer service any more and when I find a place that does, I stick with it. I have a local music store, a repairman, and reed supplier that in 25 years of doing business has never lied to me or cheated me in any way. These guys are not the cheapest on the planet, but they are very reputable and respond when I call.

The things I have read here make me nervous about buying anything from these guys. I am sorry.

#30 ·
I think in the big picture, Mpc Cafe is high quality low-er priced outfit that you shouldn't shy away from! They make great pieces and are a good pair, afaict. And they have a default 14 day trial period, if Im recalling correctly. I just have had nothing resembling good customer service from their customer service dept.!? But nothing terrible like lost shipments or payment issues or order mix ups..none of that. Just basically no response to emails on basic inquirys; better luck writing to them (Brian?, Eric?) directly; again, I try not to do that so as to let them do their job etc.

The piece is a 6* and it is one of the two that are in the clip. I intentionally kept in anonymous to get any feedback anyone is inclined to give. I did say I used La Voz Med Soft BARITONE reeds. I don't want to write a review per se, cause I'm not that well versed in bari sax, as you can hear (but I will say I have gigged on bari and didn't embarass myself, and I was not at my best in the clips...I was in a hurry etc).

And, I did post two pictures of the new piece. So, hmmm are the links not working?

What I can say is ( I think I already said this), my 45.00 stock Martin piece + Sakshama "calibration" / slight reface + my mini wedge baffle/chamber reduction goes pretty damn well up against the nice very Grande. And that's what you hear in the A/B. You be the judge. I'll give it a couple of days ....then REVEAL THE TRUTH!

If I was making a real salary again, I might just keep it to learn to work with it (it does play beautifully low down v. my piece)....but there isn't enough of a difference so it may go back, I'm sorry to say. I was expecting my piece to get trounced! I think the balance of the significant tip to the size of the chamber + scooped sidewalls...is 'off'. I have a custom worked HR tenor that has that same ratio or relationship and appearance, and it sort of behaves the same.

HF
(I also kind of chuckled at the somewhat corny name.... ; ) )

#32 ·
The first of the two photos is not accessible - we aren't permitted.

I was out this evening, casual gig outdoors with a very small ensemble, playing as usual my RPC roll over. What a sweet mouthpiece - but it took a while for that to blossom, so to speak. Maybe the worse a mouthpiece sounds the first day, the more potential it has.

#33 ·
Took down the links. Nothing good about them

Will try again later

I've heard good things about RPC (assume you were on bari with your RPC?)\

DonnC, you're right about Junk Dude; they have at least one or two good close up true profiles of the baffle that lets you see its contour; what matters most. Also they're easy to deal with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361630514167?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT Here for example you see an attempt at showing the profile in the second shot, but you only get a small piece of the picture profile-wise. Any opinions on this piece by the way?? Closet bargain sleeper or so-so plasticky piece?

Most exterior shots are either redundant or of little use. Amazing what sellers will put up as photos..my fav is 5 pictures of a sax from 4 feet away. Yep, its a sax alrighty! Thanks for confirming that!

#35 ·
Great people doing great work. . TOP LEVEL people and artists. Clean work- solid and perfect.

Here are pictures from their FB.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.