What To Do With Classical Saxophone Vinyl Collection

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What To Do With Classical Saxophone Vinyl Collection

The season for removing a large number of vinyl albums from my life has arrived. There are two major components to my collection. The first is a couple of thousand jazz LPs that I'm gradually and happily selling to a local record store at what I consider to be very reasonable prices.

The second large component is a few hundred classical saxophone LPs. I'm in no particular hurry to get rid of them, but let's say I'm starting to think more seriously about it, and it presents a bigger conundrum. First, they are likely to be much less liquid, so I'm not likely to find an easy outlet for selling them at a reasonable price like I've found for the jazz items. Second, the collection is comprehensive enough that some university music library might be interested in it. I'd probably consider donating them to the right institution, though I don't know exactly what the criteria for "right" would be. Somewhere that would strike a reasonable balance between caring for them and making use of them, for starters, I suppose. I recently learned the strange circumstances of a large jazz vinyl collection that was donated to a midwestern university - the donor was also enticed to put up a cash donation to cover the cost of cataloging the donated collection. That I would almost certainly be unwilling to do, and in any case that collection was several orders of magnitude larger than my classical sax collection, so it may not be an issue. I might consider a bulk sale to a collector if I found someone interested, though that might be my second preference. A third option would be individual sales on eBay, but I'm not to eager to face the time and hassle of that.

Does anyone have any thoughts (or leads even) to share with me? Places like Northwestern and Indiana already own copies of most or all of the records in my collection, so a donation would have to be to a school that for whatever reason hasn't been buying such records for the past 50 years. Feel free to reply here or PM me if you prefer.
    Stay thirsty my friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member CarlHeanerd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What To Do With Classical Saxophone Vinyl Collection

What artists are present in your collection? Have you considered archiving them in a digital format?

I know lots of teachers could be interested in stuff like this, you may have good luck selling them as a collection by posting on one of the classical sax Facebook groups.
    Soprano: Selmer Paris Series III Selmer Paris S90 170 + Vandoren Traditional 3.5 Selmer Paris Silver Ligature
    Alto: Selmer Paris Series III
    Selmer Paris S80 C* + D'Addario Reserve 3.0+
    Ishimori Gold Ligature

www.heaneymusic.com

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHeanerd View Post
    What artists are present in your collection?
    Mule
    Londeix
    Brodie
    Sampen
    Sinta
    Hemke
    Rascher
    Deffayet
    Abato
    Aurelia Saxophone Quartet
    Netherlands Saxophone Quartet
    Detroit Saxophone Quartet
    American Saxophone Quartet
    Amherst Saxophone Quartet
    Bilger
    Richtmeyer
    Rousseau
    Delangle
    Bamber
    Gourdet
    Meyniel
    Stoltie
    Fourmeau
    Pittel
    Rascher Quartet
    Fredonia Saxophone Ensemble
    Weinberger
    Leeson
    Daneels
    Houlik
    Kientzy
    Pituch
    Hollywood Saxophone Quartet

to give you an idea of the range of artists covered, but there are many, many more individuals and ensembles. It's a fairly comprehensive though of course not exhaustive collection of classical saxophone playing on LP from the 1950s-1980s.

Have you considered archiving them in a digital format?
    I've started that. It's a slow process. Not sure if I'll make it through all of them or not.

I know lots of teachers could be interested in stuff like this, you may have good luck selling them as a collection by posting on one of the classical sax Facebook groups.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I should emphasize that my thought process on this is in its infancy. I don't expect to get rid of them in the next month or two. Probably more like in 6 months to a year, or whatever it takes for me to be happy with the outcome. I started buying the first albums in 1974 so there's some emotional investment in the collection to deal with as well.
    Stay thirsty my friends.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're ever interested in selling any of your collection, I'm more than willing to buy.
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
    - Charles Bukowski