Sax on the Web Forum banner

My "Grand Opera" C Melody

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jhammons01 
#1 ·
Hot on the heels of acquiring my Pan Am soprano, a C Mel. enters my life. I was seriously considering one from a forum member here in Canada, but passed on it and then saw this one locally (like a 20 min. drive away). It's a Pan Am stencil (thanks Bruce Bailey). Using the Pan Am serial# chart I dated it to 1923, same year as my TrueTone bari. I will add it to the Pan Am thread in the Conn sub-forum.

The owner said he got it from a friend whose grandfather had played it, and was willing to deliver it to my place for me to try out. It plays just fine. A bit of burble on the bell notes, and the neck is slightly loose in the socket. As with many rarely played C Mel's. it's in very good shape with no dents, solder repairs and even the silver finish is excellent. The original case is good too, though the strap is gone.

It came with a Woodwind Co. NY tenor mouthpiece. No facing mark on it in the usual spot that I can see. Needs a good helping of cork grease to get it on far enough to play in tune, but once there the horn seems remarkably stable intonation-wise.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Reed Woodwind instrument
Brown Wood Artifact Font Tints and shades
Gas Font Wood Metal Cylinder

See less See more
#2 ·
Calling a C melody Grand Opera is kinda like calling a harmonica Marine Band. ;) No srsly, it's great to find a C that doesn't need loads of work and is reasonably priced. Enjoy.

#3 ·
We should incorporate harmonicas into the Marine Band!

#5 ·
"Now, please give a hand to the president's own MARCHING HARMONICAS!!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.