Sax on the Web Forum banner

Wide trills - like C# to E...how to do them quickly?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  southfloridahorns 
#1 ·
I'm learning wide trills for improv, like middle C#/E...tough to do that one fast; any ideas?
(doing that for 'play that funky music' on tenor solo)

Doing a similar Bb/G one is easy, but C#/E is tough to do fast -- any good drills or exercises to help?

thanks...

another good technique I've seen are 4-note fast descending arpeggios, also tough to get fluid/fast with

#2 ·
I'd play the C# with the bottom hand E fingers held down (1st and 2nd fingers) and tremolo the top hand + octave key.

#5 ·
For all trills/tremolos from middle C# - hold down the octave key and LH 3 for the C#. You can add any combo of RH fingers to establish your destination pitch. Then, trill LH 1 & 2.

So, to tremolo from C# to E, finger the E, remove LH 1 & 2, and you have C#. It's quite easy to do, in tune and no fake/cheat notes.

#8 ·
another good technique I've seen are 4-note fast descending arpeggios, also tough to get fluid/fast with
That's worth working on - add syncopation, and you'll get a LOT of variations on the investment.

There's a "trick" to thinking about these, that, once you wire it in your head, may make it easier to conceptualize. Consider it as a continuous descending string of thirds that is "reset" after every four notes.

It's easier on the piano or horn or music staff, but here goes.

First the idea of a continuous descending string of thirds in the key of D:

D B G E C# A F# D B G E

Now play them as descending arpeggios in groups of four:

D3 B3 G2 E2 / C#3 A2 F#2 D2 / B3 G2 E2 C#2 / etc.

Notice that you are descending one diatonic tone for each arpeggio, and playing the same intervals within the key.

Iterate in each key.

#9 ·
thanks very much Merlin, and others; I'd never have figured that out on my own....trilling LH1+2 is a lot easier, will try that

re Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
For all trills/tremolos from middle C# - hold down the octave key and LH 3 for the C#. You can add any combo of RH fingers to establish your destination pitch. Then, trill LH 1 & 2.
So, to tremolo from C# to E, finger the E, remove LH 1 & 2, and you have C#. It's quite easy to do, in tune and no fake/cheat notes.
--

from mid c# to mid E (3 halftones above), it was slow going from nothing pressed to octave plus 5 keys (LH123+RH12) -- your approach is so much better

---
thx as always Dr G re 4-note arpeggios; good idea re
First the idea of a continuous descending string of thirds in the key of D:
D B G E C# A F# D B G E
Now play them as descending arpeggios in groups of four:
D3 B3 G2 E2 / C#3 A2 F#2 D2 / B3 G2 E2 C#2 / etc.

agree it has a lot of mileage; i like that idea; I'll do that for practice, excellent tip :)

#13 ·
When you close the right hand keys, the bis Bb goes down, on any saxophone. On alto, tenor, and larger saxes, the A key is responsible for actuating the C pad above the B key, meaning that the C pad won't go down with the bis key alone. On soprano, however, the bis key is going to actuate the C pad instead of the A key, which is why you can't produce a C# with the right hand keys down.

Why do they design sopranos this way? There just isn't a lot of room to do it the way it's done on the larger saxes...too much clutter in that area of the body...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.