Sax on the Web Forum banner

Zephyr or upgrade to S20?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sthsquid 
#1 ·
I have a '42 Zephyr alto and it's a really nice horn, original lacquer (double socket neck, 3-ring strap hook etc). I've always wanted a Cleveland Super 20 but realistically it would cost me about $1500.00 or thereabouts to upgrade to a horn that needed minimal work. Many folks say the difference is really small in terms of overall sound so I'm looking for opinions. This plan is for down the road a bit as I just bought a Selmer SA 80 series I, and I can't justify 3 altos. What say you King experts?

#2 ·
#4 ·
With the S20, the bell keys are connected directly to the rods and key arms and touches, which is the best design.
The Zephyr bell keys are activated by rods connected to cam levers that slide along a pin connected to the bell keys. This is an inferior, older design which tends to produce some slippage and sponginess in the action.
No modern saxophone is made with this cam lever design for bell keys, and this flaw taints the stature of the Zephyr for me.

#7 ·
Many folks say the difference is really small in terms of overall sound
Yup. at least talking tenors, and specifically Zephyr tenors from approx 280xxx-roughly 360xxx are best, imo.

Zephyr tenors within this serial range have the all brass keys with nickel silver rods, and sound most like a S20.

Some folks like the sound of later Zephyrs too, but the keywork is clunkier, like a 615.
Earlier Zephyrs have a different sound and do not sound like a S20.

Based on my own research, I found the difference in cost between a Zephyr tenor in the aforementioned serial range and an Eastlake S20, with either needing little, is about $1000US-$1500US.

I imagine altos would be similar.

The series I S20 alto pictured earlier in the thread has the same keywork as the Zephyrs of which I speak.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input all....that full pearls horn is a beauty.

Interesting about the keywork, I gotta check mine. As far as the bell keys feeling a little spongy, I guess if I think about it they do, a little, nothing I can't live with or feel like it's impeding me. Ergos are a factor but not a major one for me, unless it's something drastic of course. The rollers do work well on my table keys.

Soundwise, since I've never played an S20 it's really hard to know how different it would be from my Zephyr. I know the bell and bores are supposed to be slightly larger on an S20 which I suppose translates to a bigger, fatter sound. I like how my Zephyr sounds, it's kind of hard to describe. Darkish and a little muddy but in a good way, it still can cut through stuff ok I think but would probably lose out to an S20 on that score. Who knows.

These damn Kings, they have that "mystique" that's unshakeable. The S20 is the "holy grail" I guess, and I love the underslung octave key, the silver necks (on some, anyway), the engraving, logo, etc. But my Zephyr has a nice sound mojo and a beautiful aged patina. I'll be thinking about this for bit :) ......anyone else feel free to chime in....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.