Sax on the Web Forum banner

How much for a C Melody?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  EgilF. 
#1 · (Edited)
I keep hearing about $200 Cs on eBay in playing condition, but all the ones I've seen so far look like the pads are iffy at best.

I'm in Canada, where the exchange rate with US$ kind of hurts these days. The Cdn. shop I bought my Truetone bari from a decade ago has a Buescher C Melody for $775 Cdn. , and that includes new pads. The bari was in excellent shape right out of the box, and this C would probably be the same, and it looks to be in very nice shape:

http://brassandwoodwind.ca/BuescherTrueToneCMelody_48XXX.html

But part of me goes gah, do I really want to spend that much on a C Melody, even if it's perfect?

Later edit: was reading up on these and the Buescher octave pip position. This is an early (1919) horn, so it has the "less desirable" position.

#2 ·
That looks right - $200-$300 for a decent TT foundation, add $500 for an overhaul, 7-800 final investment. You could hold out for one that has had an overhaul, and surplused by an individual ready to move on for less $$, but then you don't know the pad life left, didn't oversee the rebuild, etc. Also, my rebuilt TT C is a great horn, and stands up to some pretty lofty peers.

#3 ·
try and get a later model conn chu-berry after serial# 150,xxx with the stright neck....these are the go,but reasonabley expensive here in australia round $1000CAD in going order...$1500 with new pads....
but i think the new-wonderII or chu-berry are the better ones to look for....

cheers,philip

#4 · (Edited)
I keep hearing about $200 Cs on eBay in playing condition, but all the ones I've seen so far look like the pads are iffy at best.....
Later edit: was reading up on these and the Buescher octave pip position. This is an early (1919) horn, so it has the "less desirable" position.
If you are patient enough and with luck you can indeed get a perfectly playable C Melody for about $250-300, with the original case. Add about $50 if it comes with a C Melody mouthpiece. I got both my C melody (one 1923 TT Buescher, one 1923 NW1 Conn) for that price from fellow members here. Minimal work/ adjustments were needed for optimal playing condition.
Regarding the octave pip position, yes that's the "less desirable" one in the photo. The position in mine goes almost 10 mm further towards the neck cork.
Depending on your needs and desire for the C Melody horn (for me, playing old standards in concert key using my available piano and voice music sheets without transposing), it is a very pleasant horn to play with it's unique sound. In fact these horns are the most played in my collection. Good luck!

#8 ·
But part of me goes gah, do I really want to spend that much on a C Melody, even if it's perfect?
I could chime in with my thoughts on the price yada yada, but the best advice I can give is:
If you ask that question, the answer is almost certainly 'no'.

I knew exactly what I intended to use a C-mel for when I started looking. I got a '25 TT, I love it, and I think I get my money's worth.
If you're starting from that point, then maybe the horn is for you, but if you don't know what to do with it before you buy, you aren't likely to figure it out afterwards.

#9 ·
Thanks folks.

Yes IBeOmega, you (and Dr G) are quite right - it's a gut thing. When I bought my bari from them years ago I didn't even blink at the price. I've now got my Pan Am soprano, and while I could certainly find use for a C Mel. I'm only curious about it, so yeah if one shows up for half that price ready to (more or less) go I might do it.

#11 ·
I paid about $420 for mine Buescher 1923. I guess I need some years to get C-melody-gigs to pay for it.
The previous owner had it repaired for 10 years ago. I just had to do the last 4 pads and the octave mechanism that was messed up. And the most important reason he didn't play it much; find and modify a mouthpiece that works with and not against the horn and the player ;-)

Find a sax that don't have been messed up and be prepared to use some money on repairing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.