Sax on the Web Forum banner

Harness for Bass Sax

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  lydian 
#1 ·
I recently got a bass sax (over the top excited about it! Dream come true!)
I've been using a standard Neotech shoulder harness to practice when standing, but I just noticed that the plastic hook on the end is starting to bend... This is obviously not good.

Anyone have any suggestions for a solid harness I can use on this beast?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I use it too. Very comfortable and sturdy...yes the hook is an ABS plastic but shows no signs of wear or stress.

#3 ·
I bought a Ludwig bass drum harness. It has 2 hooks, so I hook them both to a heavy brass snap hook I got at Home Depot. Everything is designed to hold a lot more weight than a bass saxophone, so the horn is safe. It's also pretty comfortable. I think the whole setup cost me less than $40, but it was a while back. I'd plan on $60.

#6 ·
I'm running the exact same thing as saxtek. I picked up a brass double sided clip at the hardware store and the setup is the best I've found.

No idea what kind of bass you have since you didn't say - but the early basses need a hook that is much higher on the chest than the modern horns do -and the Ludwig is about perfect (and so is the price). You can find them fairly inexpensively if you shop around - and get the one with the brass hooks.

For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-LF350B-Black-Parade-Marching/dp/B0002IJDT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463885085&sr=8-1&keywords=ludwig+bass+drum+harness

#7 ·
#11 ·
How old thread here but good information. So that Ludwig LF350B Black Parade Marching Bass Drum Sling is indeed well priced at 40 bucks so I'm sure the Neotech is going to be much more
don't really understand how you hook it up though seems to have two straps?

#12 ·
You have to use both hooks. If they don't fit, you'd need to connect them to a ring that has a single hook.

I remain seated at all my rehearsals and gigs. So I just rest the instrument on my leg and don't use any strap or harness at all. If I did ever have to stand, I'd use the same Adorence shoulder strap I use on alto/tenor/bari, which works fine on bass too. Mine was only $30 at the time, but the price has gone up on Amazon since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.