Sax on the Web Forum banner

king zephyr without engraving?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Secondhandsaxes 
#1 ·
i have been looking for a back up horn i and i found what i think is a king zephyr (260xxx) with the 3 ring strap hook and double socket neck, though there is some not very nice things about it:

-the neck appear to have like an extra layer of sheet metal at the end where the cork is placed (will post some pics), i looked at some zephyr necks and didnt' find anything like it, maybe it was soldered there because it was cracked or bent?
-there is no pant guard but no evidence of soldering showing they were removed.
-no engraving, which is something i haven't seen on this particular model.
-im not sure if the neck should also have the same serial number found under the thumbrest

its selling for 600 bucks which is pretty cheap in this part of the world for a tenor, the seller claims it is a julius keilwerth king?, which makes me think the sax will need an adjustment, but for the price is selling that's under the expextations, i think i should jump in on this one.

Musical instrument Wind instrument Wood Automotive exhaust Bicycle part
Snake Fish Plant Insect Wood
Musical instrument Saxophone Reed instrument Saxophonist Wind instrument
Automotive exhaust Gas Gun accessory Tin Metal
Musical instrument Reed instrument Light Wind instrument Plant

See less See more
#3 ·
It is a Zephyr for sure and that extra neck brace is common to the tenors although it looks resoldered. I have no idea on the lack of a name but it is possible that it was made as a "stencil" and someone sanded off the name to sell it as a Zephyr. It should play like a Zephyr. As to the extra metal under the cork....it could have a crack at that area and a patch OR it could be a ring that some necks have to indicate where the end of the cork goes but I think it is a patch.

#4 ·
there is an extra piece that loks like a diamond shape that is a patch...its not there on the other zephyrs i have seen...
these necks on the zephyr's seem to get damaged very easily as i have had a few with bad necks....
i also had one that had "U.S." as the only engraving....military horn....
its a good price,i would go for it too,.....
good luck....
cheers,philip

#5 ·
thanks for the answers, i am still thinking wheter i should get it or not, i forgot to say that i won't be trying it which is really a minus point together with the neck repair and the unengraved bell, not that i care about the engraving but if i dont like the horn and then want to sell it as a zephyr its gonna be hard as there is no zephyr written anywhere in the horn.

#8 ·
My 2653xx Alto also doesn't have Zephyr engraved on it, just "King" (in quotes on the engraving) followed in the next line with By H.N.White
Mine also does have that ring at the end of the neck cork, and the serial number is on the neck too. It does have a pant guard, unlike yours, though.
I'll take pictures of it after I get it back from having a few pads replaced.
And a thought I just had- aren't these both from 1942? Maybe both were made during a shortage or something? I'd imagine some of the engravers might have enlisted during WW2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.