Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Bill Evans Signature Mouthpiece. Guess How Much!?

55K views 252 replies 69 participants last post by  Nefertiti 
#1 ·
#205 ·
Bill shows what this prototype Guardala can do for him from 13:58 on, demonstrating the two diametric corners of the box.

Could I do this? Most probably not, because it's up to his chops and perfect control of embouchure and air-stream. Could he do this on a Link? I guess no, because Links do not get where a baffle mouthpiece will take you.

#206 ·
Yeah, when he plays Lover Man it's kind of like watching the sonic version of an F-16 fighter jet pilot flying around, it's beyond most people's abilities and concept. Not sure how much the mouthpiece really has to do with that. In my opinion that mouthpiece is just what he is used and comfotable with after 30 years. Personally, it wouldn't help me.

#209 ·
Also not trying to start an an argument but I've heard Link type mouthpiece players zooming around in the altissimo just fine. Bergonzi, Garzone - granted their sound concepts are much different than Bills but I don't think you necessary need a big baffle Guardala to do that stuff. It's the player and their ability really and the equipment they are used to working with. That's what I think anyway. I could be full of **** too.

#210 ·
I don't think anyone implied that you need a high baffle for altissimo unless I missed that in the posts somewhere. To me the high baffle gives brightness, edge and focus that can be missing in a link depending on what link you are playing. In my comment above about link players on GB gigs I was referring to hearing a tenor solo over a loud funky pop groove and although the player I'm sure has a beautiful tone the sound on the solo seems inappropriate for me. It's to dark, spread and dull sounding for that type of music. I've heard that many times in live band situations.

#215 ·
Versatile in all registers, full bottom end, easy altissimo. And THAT was his demo soundbite ? Sounds like me warming up after a day off and with a dodgy reed. Bandana with dress shirt ? Get help Bill. I don't mean with the horn playing, you always sounded thin and dull. Who in their right mind is gonna pay that ? Borb Oliver. Better and 2.5% of the price. Bye Bill. Jak

#220 ·
Versatile in all registers, full bottom end, easy altissimo. And THAT was his demo soundbite ? Sounds like me warming up after a day off and with a dodgy reed. Bandana with dress shirt ? Get help Bill. I don't mean with the horn playing, you always sounded thin and dull. Who in their right mind is gonna pay that ? Borb Oliver. Better and 2.5% of the price. Bye Bill.
Jak
Drop Mic!

ps

Hahaha, legit dude!

#216 ·
Bill Evans is indeed a giant in particular on his contemporary styles.
However his theories (from 37:38 and on) about jazz made me laugh out loud.
He claims everybody can play jazz and that it is just about learning a box of tricks
and then put them together and then you've got jazz... It might work to some extend
(to his audiences) but I think that is one of the main reasons why jazz is dying a slow death.
No soul. Just a box of tricks. Boring to listen to after a few minutes. Like I got bored after a
few minutes listening to Bill's 300 notes per minute clinic.

#217 ·
I didn't watch that part, thanks for the warning, glad I didn't. Yes I did notice some people looking off into space and glazing over when the camera panned the audience. I'm not at all into his style of playing but I just sort of watch in awe as he plays a thousand notes per minute until I'm kind of like, ok where is he going with this? He certainly sounds good on that big band thing, definitely has the virtuosic wow factor happening.

#218 ·
We’ve been stocking these pieces of recent here at Sax.co.uk. So far they’ve proved pretty popular- we’ve sold a few- not mail order, but to players in store who tried them out. They’re clearly delivering the goods for a certain type of player, over and above our other range of pieces….

#221 ·
Well I blew on one to night. Woww its a small tip. Thought it would of been in the 115 range like a lot of Guardala pieces but this is Bills choice of piece and it suits him of course and its the one and only like he says so no chance of larger tips, lol.

#223 ·
Bill Evans has been around,and is indeed a great saxophonist.
Not my favorite style,and certainly not the sound that i personally like on tenor with this new moc on the market.
Way too thin,and too bright in my opinion.
I did owned three handmade Guardalas a few years back,they were fun to play,but always could nt stand those mpcs after a few weeks.I know he says that is a new one etc etc,but does sound to me like a MBI.
I would never pay that money for that mpc,in fact for any mpcs!
Again,that is only my personal opinion.
I wish him the best of luck with his mpc.
My regards
Saxobari

#224 ·
So as an obsessed Mike Stern fan I was able to hear Bill Evans for four straight days at the Jazz Showcase. There he played this MP in many dimensions and colors so I did not find it to be one trick pony as some have suggested. His ballads were butter and I would have never thought he was playing a high baffle piece then. Now imagine trying to cut through in Stern's group and that was no problem either. This guy is a beast of a player and a very good singer and piano player to boot.

I have some video which I may post later if I get around to it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on sound and price. That being said some posts in this thread are personal attacks that have zilch to do with his playing or product. Really there should be no place for that here

#225 ·
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on sound and price. That being said some posts in this thread are personal attacks that have zilch to do with his playing or product. Really there should be no place for that here
Bottom line? Everyone has different tastes and/or preferences when it comes to something as individual as a saxophone mouthpiece. His works for him. Great. Mine works for me and yours works for you. Doesn't mean my mouthpiece would work for you or vice-versa any more than Evans' overpriced hunk of metal will work the same for *anyone* else. That's the fun, yet insane thing about playing this instrument.

#244 ·
I just got mine back from Matt Marantz, it's biteplate wore out QUICKLY (from heavy use no doubt) and the finish was starting to suffer as well. I had the biteplate replaced and the piece replated, this time in BLACK RHODIUM! SOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEET lookin', as well as the fact that it STILL plays amazing!

For me, this is a very special mouthpiece and I couldn't be happier with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.