Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Bill Evans Signature Mouthpiece. Guess How Much!?

55K views 252 replies 69 participants last post by  Nefertiti 
#1 ·
#109 ·
Here's Tommy Smith's review on Facebook

"The Bill Evans mouthpiece Rocks, it simply plays itself."
"The best mouthpiece I've ever played."
"If you had to compare the Bill Evans mouthpiece to bicycle, his has 21 gears and the rest have 3."
"A dream to play, like sweet velvet."
"The Ferrari of all mouthpieces"

Tommy Smith

#120 ·
Is there a mouthpiece out there that Bill would sound bad on? I'm pretty sure he could play anything and sound awesome.

Alternatively, if I spend $1700 and play like him I would do it, but it ain't gonna happen no matter what mouthpiece/horn combo I have.

I'm not going to knock Bill for trying to capitalize on his name, but I'm not spending $1700 on that piece either!

#121 ·
Is there a mouthpiece out there that Bill would sound bad on? I'm pretty sure he could play anything and sound awesome.

Alternatively, if I spend $1700 and play like him I would do it, but it ain't gonna happen no matter what mouthpiece/horn combo I have.

I'm not going to knock Bill for trying to capitalize on his name, but I'm not spending $1700 on that piece either!
You can buy two brand new, customized, Vigilantes for that price!, or 3 Theo Wanne Durgas, or 5 Drakes!

#128 ·
Dr G:

I meant that the free market will decide if there are enough players willing to pay the price to buy these, and if not how long Mr. Evans is willing to keep doing this.

If he isn't in this "for the money", or put another way, as supplemental income he could well have a high tolerance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forum Runner

#129 ·
I saw Bill play live some years ago, I generally don't listen to much fusion, but I do remember this gig, he played the hell out of the saxophone, if I get a chance to see him play live again I will. He was really going for things, and had the wherewithal to get them. Had he made an announcement after that gig that he had a few mouthpieces for sale, he probably would have sold them, good luck to Bill.

#130 ·
People pay $1500-$3500 for handmade G#######s,and more for silver Francois'.
Bill Evans(I would have added a middle initial ...)is follically challenged and wears a scarf,so what.A baseball cap looks better?
Bald guys like to cover up.
He is a monster player,like most of us aspire to be.
Now go practice....(on your "double ring...)

#132 ·
Bill Evans plays a mean tenor.

My favorite moment of his comes in about 3:07 of this Gil Evans orchestra recording

This business venture does have me scratching my head.
Value is in the eye of the beholder? Or it's in the psyche of a musician? Who knows?
I'll enjoy his solo and this entertaining thread nonetheless...

#135 ·
At 4:10 or so he sits on the major third a few times in his solo over the minor vamp thing that's going on. Haha, you don't hear to many guys doing that. It's all how you treat it, he's good.

#133 ·
I was all set to buy one, then I saw that he's charging $9.95 for shipping and I changed my mind.

#140 ·
No doubt Ken is a great player, but I doubt he'll get more then $500 for this used mouthpiece. How many do you think have sold so far, and already great players are putting them back in the market?
I respect Bill as a player but I think he completely missed the mark setting these pieces at this astronomic price new. As said above, it's a 'mostly' a free market, but ...

#145 ·
He does sound amazing on everything, but that clip sounded especially good to me. I think most mouthpiece related clips I've heard of him are in a more tame studio setting, so maybe it's the live energy and the band that makes him sound extra good to me there.

I think most guys play Guardalas for a bit because they are great blowing pieces, but the good players move on once they realize that the piece locks them into a particular sound. Even Brecker wished he could play something else....

#146 ·
Hi Guyz,

First, thanks for your kind words and encouragement!

That clip was from a "step up and blow" while earballing my way through a tune I rarely play in a loud setting without much monitor support. So I guess that shows some positive attributes for this mouthpiece. I did end the listing (twice!) while chickening out, but I think I've settled down now.

As some of you know, I switch pieces relatively often, playing one for a while and then moving on - sometimes for the better, sometimes not. I enjoy playing different makes and designs, but I'm most comfortable on relatively large tip openings (8*-9) and that's why I'm moving on now.

I've played Guardalas (although not exclusively) since the mid '80's, which I guess now makes ME vintage! I can say without reservation, that the sound quality, intonation and ease of play of this piece far out shines any hand made Guardala I've owned.

I'm not chiming in to hype a sale or convince you and I prefer to stay out of the fray that can sometimes develop on the forum. I just thought since my name was mentioned in this thread, I should say hi and tell you my first hand insights on this subject.

That's enough out of me. I hope you're all well and enjoying life!

Ken Gioffre

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.