New Bill Evans Signature Mouthpiece. Guess How Much!? - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    (formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New Bill Evans Signature Mouthpiece. Guess How Much!?

Well I blew on one to night. Woww its a small tip. Thought it would of been in the 115 range like a lot of Guardala pieces but this is Bills choice of piece and it suits him of course and its the one and only like he says so no chance of larger tips, lol.
    Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.spacegong.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/space-gong www.soundcloud.com/daveysaxboy-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't look at page 12 to see what Davey has to say...

Distinguished SOTW Member saxobari's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Evans has been around,and is indeed a great saxophonist.
    Not my favorite style,and certainly not the sound that i personally like on tenor with this new moc on the market.
    Way too thin,and too bright in my opinion.
    I did owned three handmade Guardalas a few years back,they were fun to play,but always could nt stand those mpcs after a few weeks.I know he says that is a new one etc etc,but does sound to me like a MBI.
    I would never pay that money for that mpc,in fact for any mpcs!
    Again,that is only my personal opinion.
    I wish him the best of luck with his mpc.
    My regards
    Saxobari
    Tenor Selmer Mark VI , Dukoff Stubby 7*(Eric Falcon) ,and Otto Link Tone Edge 7*!mid 70 s.
    Alto Selmer Super Action 1 (silver): Selmer Soloist .82 refaced (Ted Klum s work)
    Soprano Yamaha 62 Purple ,Selmer Soloist .64 (Joe G.Soprano Planet s work) and metal Yanagasiwa 8.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as an obsessed Mike Stern fan I was able to hear Bill Evans for four straight days at the Jazz Showcase. There he played this MP in many dimensions and colors so I did not find it to be one trick pony as some have suggested. His ballads were butter and I would have never thought he was playing a high baffle piece then. Now imagine trying to cut through in Stern's group and that was no problem either. This guy is a beast of a player and a very good singer and piano player to boot.

I have some video which I may post later if I get around to it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on sound and price. That being said some posts in this thread are personal attacks that have zilch to do with his playing or product. Really there should be no place for that here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 82zman View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion on sound and price. That being said some posts in this thread are personal attacks that have zilch to do with his playing or product. Really there should be no place for that here
    Bottom line? Everyone has different tastes and/or preferences when it comes to something as individual as a saxophone mouthpiece. His works for him. Great. Mine works for me and yours works for you. Doesn't mean my mouthpiece would work for you or vice-versa any more than Evans' overpriced hunk of metal will work the same for *anyone* else. That's the fun, yet insane thing about playing this instrument.

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is a great read but I didn't fall in love either. I played a LT super king for the last 20 yrs and I could easily make it purr. It's about concept and the sound in your head.

Cash's vintage Demo Recordings circa '99-'03 SF Bay Area www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are limited edition. Does anyone know how many are being made?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody else tried one of these?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotssax View Post
    Has anybody else tried one of these?
    I have one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxkai View Post
    I have one
    Review?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one
    Review?
    It's my main piece since 1,5 years. I had many Guardalas (Original Crescent, BM, MB1+2, Artist, Studio) and some good Bergs - but this mouthpiece really is a keeper. It's very expressive, lively with a nice core. I played it in many different situations and all I can say is: It works so great! It's pure fun. And for me: No generic sound. The demo-tapes from Bill are horrible in my opinion. This mouthpiece definitely can more than he shows there - don't like it in the videos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's my main piece since 1,5 years. I had many Guardalas (Original Crescent, BM, MB1+2, Artist, Studio) and some good Bergs - but this mouthpiece really is a keeper. It's very expressive, lively with a nice core. I played it in many different situations and all I can say is: It works so great! It's pure fun. And for me: No generic sound. The demo-tapes from Bill are horrible in my opinion. This mouthpiece definitely can more than he shows there - don't like it in the videos.
    Well, Bill Evans is Bill Evans. He's a reknowned fusion player, and he hardly ever changes it up in any substantial way, probably because he doesn't have to. I do think it was a little trivial on his part to demonstrate the versatility when he's known for doing his own thing. But he does sound great.

I'd like to hear what you sound like on it.
    I can't stand the amount of emphasis most people place on the "tradition" of jazz. The history of jazz was written by cats who relentlessly pushed the boundaries. Do you know what I call people who only try to play what Bird or Trane already did? Classical musicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting, thanks. It sounds like it is a great mouthpiece. You don't have a problem with it being a small tip opening compared to most Guardalas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting, thanks. It sounds like it is a great mouthpiece. You don't have a problem with it being a small tip opening compared to most Guardalas?
    No, no problem for me! Interesting that it (108) feels more open than my Original Studio (112). But for example Ken Gioffre said it is too small for him. I had luck to playtest the piece backstage with Bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, no problem for me! Interesting that it (108) feels more open than my Original Studio (112). But for example Ken Gioffre said it is too small for him. I had luck to playtest the piece backstage with Bill.
    Excellent! Which make and size reeds work for you with this mouthpiece?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent! Which make and size reeds work for you with this mouthpiece?
    Vandoren Java Red 3
    Bill plays 3 1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vandoren Java Red 3
    Bill plays 3 1/2
    Thanks for the info, Saxkai. I'm going to try one soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigmultireedguy View Post
    Well, Bill Evans is Bill Evans. He's a reknowned fusion player, and he hardly ever changes it up in any substantial way, probably because he doesn't have to. I do think it was a little trivial on his part to demonstrate the versatility when he's known for doing his own thing. But he does sound great.

I'd like to hear what you sound like on it.
    Maybe I make a short clip with my Samsung next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12