Sax on the Web Forum banner

High G# fingerings for Tenor Silversonic

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  John Kotches 
#1 ·
Hey Kingians!

What fingering are you guys using for altissimo G#? I have been trying 1&3, 1&3, w/side Bb. That fingering comes out super flat. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help!

#2 ·
Don't have a King, but I do pretty much what you do - since the G# naturally would be encountered frequently in keys that have F#, I use the high F# fingering with the side C key. Now, my F# differs from yours - I use 1-3/1-D#. To go from there to G# just hit the side C with your knuckle. It's pretty reliable. Try open after that (C#) for the next note in the F# scale, A#. Try the 4th (B) with 1-3/1-3. You may have to experiment around and see what works for your set-up. I've been using Rascher's book 'Top Tones' for fifty years - I highly recommend it. No book/method fits every set-up but that is a solid foundation.

#7 ·
Mine's not a silversonic but it's an early 60's S20...

X
O
X

X
+ side C

and yes- it's a bit flat but if you play it a few 1000 times you find you have mysteriously adjusted your approach to have it blow in tune...
RH 3 instead of RH 1 raises it 15-20 cents for me, plays pretty close to where it should be:

X
O
X

O
O
X
Side C

#9 ·
On my Series I S-20 (Wanne Shiva 9) and early (433xxx) Eastlake Silversonic (Original Dave Guardala King) G# pops readily and in tune with the following fingering:

O
X
X

O
O
O

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.