Sax on the Web Forum banner

Elkhart / Couesnon C-Melody = Wow!

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  csax 
#1 · (Edited)
Elkhart BIC (Couturier) C-Melody = Wow!

I've owned 7 C-Mels (see list below) and had given up on C-Mels altogether. I could not get decent ergonomics, tone and intonation in one package. I've spent money on repadding, neck shaping and even changing key placements, all to no avail.

Recently I traded for an Elkhart c-mel. I was impressed by the intonation and tone. After a workup replacing 12 pads, some corks and a spring I have found a real winner! The tone is even from top to bottom, the intonation is the best I have ever had except for the low end (and that may be rectified when I have the significant dent in the bow removed) and the ergonomics are good enough!

After some research I discovered that this is an Elkhart Band Instrument Company manufactured instrument made from Couturier sourced parts. If you are still on the c-mel search I highly recommend to add this one to your list!

Conn (New Wonder II)
Holton (Rudy Wiedoeft model)
Martin (early Handcraft)
Aquilasax (two of them)
Buescher (Series IV)
Wurlitzer (early Buescher stencil)

See less See more
#7 ·
dvdberg - Elkhart / Couesnon ??? It's an Elkhart / Martin....

Check some of the features against the link to my Martin below. The neck is Martin, I think I see a 'Martin' bow fin, the pinkie table looks Martin. It won't have some of the bits that are on my (later) Martin, e.g. the front-F, and it will probably have (extra to mine) a G# trill and forked Eb, but I see Martin....

Are the toneholes not chunky things, soldered at the base and with a bit of a slant/bevel at the opening ? Are my eyes failing me that much ? :bluewink:

http://csax.net/saxophones/my-martin.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.