Sax on the Web Forum banner

March is International King Super 20 month

5K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  zootspiker 
#1 ·
I am celebrating the observation by committing to play my Super 20 for any and all occasions this month.

Who else is celebrating?

#4 ·
I'll commit to my S20 and Zephyr tenors, lol
... they're kinda joined at the hip, soundwise

#10 ·
Man...this must be the reason I ended up buying 2 Super 20's in a weeks time...It's Super 20 month!!!

But on a serious note, I bought a '58 Alto that really blew me away. SUCH a beautiful player. I liked it so much I went on a research binge and stumbled across a tenor that is interesting. It's a Super 20 of course, BUT I'm waiting for it in the mail as I believe it to be a special and different than your average one. I could be wrong though so I won't say anymore just yet. Trying not to get my hopes up. LoL. When it gets here I'll post about it:)

#12 ·
Man...this must be the reason I ended up buying 2 Super 20's in a weeks time...It's Super 20 month!!!

But on a serious note, I bought a '58 Alto that really blew me away. SUCH a beautiful player. I liked it so much I went on a research binge and stumbled across a tenor that is interesting. It's a Super 20 of course, BUT I'm waiting for it in the mail as I believe it to be a special and different than your average one. I could be wrong though so I won't say anymore just yet. Trying not to get my hopes up. LoL. When it gets here I'll post about it:)
Amazing . 6 months ago you said you 'never dug the King thing', and now .. this -- ha ha ha !

#18 ·
Who else is celebrating?
I'm celebrating all month with closet space for the non-Super 20 saxes in my household. And, I'm celebrating the builders who used to put these horns together .... In the King factory, back in the day, those guys really had it going on. Mine is as basic as they come, built in the Eastlake factory, brass body with a brass neck, used excessively in tough conditions (an orchestra pit) .... And it's still the best tenor I've ever played.

God bless the Super 20.

Turtle

#21 ·
Well...It's IN!!!

1946 Super 20 Full Pearls and.....drum roll please....GOLD PLATED!!! I found it online (not eBay) and it was listed as a lacquer, but It looked funky so I enquired about it and sure enough it was a special order gold plate Super 20 and it was being sold by the ORIGINAL owner:)

Here's a little snap shot:

Musical instrument Human body Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument

Needless to say, Super 20 month is being celebrated in my house for sure! Plays GREAT, but needs some work. This is a completely different flavor to the SBA...not sure where my heart lies yet:)

#25 ·
Well...It's IN!!!

1946 Super 20 Full Pearls and.....drum roll please....GOLD PLATED!!! I found it online (not eBay) and it was listed as a lacquer, but It looked funky so I enquired about it and sure enough it was a special order gold plate Super 20 and it was being sold by the ORIGINAL owner:)

Here's a little snap shot:

View attachment 76279

Needless to say, Super 20 month is being celebrated in my house for sure! Plays GREAT, but needs some work. This is a completely different flavor to the SBA...not sure where my heart lies yet:)
Nice one ! Put up some more photos once you're able .

#37 ·
Definitely NOT checked out - she has been playing with the band since it formed some 35 years ago, and still a DRIVING player.

I am blessed to play in such a deep pool of talent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.