Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bundy II Plays Well

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  davereynolds500 
#1 ·
So, I recently purchased a Selmer Bundy II. I didn't pay a lot for it and it seemed to play pretty well when I picked it up.

My regular tenor was due for a "tune up", so I dropped it off with my tech until Monday. I don't have any gigs this weekend and have had a chance to do a few hours with the Bundy. I am pleasantly surprised! Although the ergos, in particular the palm keys the height of the Bbis are a bit annoying. I plan to put some risers on the palm keys (Sugru perhaps?) and see how to deal with the Bbis. I tend to slide under it a bit and lightly catch my index finger on it. I'm sure it is something I can adapt to.

The thing that impresses me most is not the relatively smooth action but the nice "round" Selmer tone. This is something I've always loved about my MKVI alto but hadn't really found as prominent on tenor. I've been playing a Warburton LA 7* with a RJS3s on my main tenor. I also have an Warburton LA 8 as a backup. I put a RJS2m on it that I had played quite a bit and, instantly, the old Bundy sang. There is something very nice about the way this sax sub tones and the low end can project without getting harsh. I have two rehearsals tomorrow and will take the Bundy there.

I had one at the last school I taught at, but it didn't have the nice tone of this one. Has anyone else been impressed with these Bundy II's? (The Selmer Company, USA, 1036XXX)

See less See more
#2 ·
It should. You'll be pleasantly surprised that this horn is actually a Buescher model 127 tenor design from 1900-something to 1945 with some Ralph Morgan designed updated key work in the early to mid 1970's. The key work was not usually well executed, but good enough for marching band, although the body is classic Buescher 127 (True Tone). They sound great, intonation is good, but it was meant by Selmer USA to be a student marching band horn based on a much earlier pro horn model, so the the finer details regarding the features and action aren't particularly special. Still, if you're willing to have them set up correctly, they're pretty good horns.

So much for that nice round Selmer tone. ;)

#3 ·
You beat me to it. I rarely share this, but in HS band, one of the best sounding, easy playing horns was one of the lowly Bundy II's out of dozens. I should have bought that one then, but I was young and foolish, and believed "technology" was going to bring us better horns in the future. And it still is! (said with friendly sarcasm :roll:).

#4 · (Edited)
Well, that is a great bit of history! I had no idea the design was from the Buecher model 127. I played a Buescher alto for a while and also liked the tone. So, I must update my comments, given the new information. I really like the tone of the Bundy II. I reminds me of the "round" sound I get on my MKVI alto. As maddenma states, the action is not amazing, but certainly works well enough for a student horn. Thanks again for the information. Should folks wonder if the Bundy II is a decent student sax? I would say the answer is yes.

#8 ·
Just had a student get their freshly overhauled Bundy II alto back from the shop. The horn was found at a thrift shop for $36 without a case. Pads were shot, and there was one large dent in the bow, but it didn't look too bad mechanically. The parents got the overhaul, SKB case, and Yamaha 4C mouthpiece all for about $600. I tried the horn out after our lesson, and was pretty impressed. The palm keys were lower than I would've liked, but the ergos are fairly solid. The horn is darker and more spread than Yamaha's offerings. Not bad at all, but doesn't "pop" as much as I'd prefer. Still though, they're solid horns, and I would most certainly be able to gig on one.

#9 ·
I played my Bundy II alto almost exclusively til last spring when I got a Yamaha 62-II. It's a solid horn (mine dates from the mid '70s), but usually needed a little tech TLC once a year (level pads, etc). When properly regulated, I didn't have any problems with the low end, although when not it does have a godawful burble from low C down. Of course, now that I've played the tilting LH pinky table, it will be painful to go back! I've had former band directors express surprise that what they were hearing came from a "student horn."

#11 ·
When I started learning sax in 1980, I received a Bundy II alto but only played for two years before switching to tenor.

Mine is in excellent shape, as I've periodically had it checked/serviced. I always liked the sound of it.

Since I mostly play tenor, how would you compare the airflow of it to the yamaha? Resistant? Free-blowing?

And anybody else, how would you compare Bundy II playability to other altos you've played?

#12 ·
Never had a Bundy II alto. I had a Bundy II tenor once and did not like it. It felt kinda "stuffy" to me. I recently picked up a Bundy tenor that I do like. It's more like what maddenma describes above. Evidently from the early 60s. The only marking inscribed, other than the S.N., is "Bundy" on the G# pinky key. I started using this sax when my Grassi tenor went into the shop. I was totally surprised! Great sound, easy to blow. I paid $200 for it and it hasn't needed any work. Yet. There's some leak making the low notes a little resistant and the high "G" isn't coming out clearly. I'll take it in when the Grassi is ready to pick up.

#13 ·
The thing that impresses me most is not the relatively smooth action but the nice "round" Selmer tone.
Did someone switch out all the springs or something? I do not like the action on these.

I had one at the last school I taught at, but it didn't have the nice tone of this one. Has anyone else been impressed with these Bundy II's? (The Selmer Company, USA, 1036XXX)
I've owned several and haven't liked any of them. Maddenma is a real Buescher guru so if he says this is an old, modified Aristocrat, I'm inclined to believe him. I personally like Bueschers so I can only account for my issues to be implementation related, not design.

Maybe next time I have one I'll check the neck tenon and replace all the springs. I'm curious how it'll turn out.

#14 ·
Did someone switch out all the springs or something? I do not like the action on these.
You would not be the only one. This is not a pro horn, regardless of it's original body tube design.

I personally like Bueschers so I can only account for my issues to be implementation related, not design.
Originally designed as a professional instrument, executed in the 60's to 80's as a student horn. Not hard to understand what your issues are.

#16 ·
Oh, and I should point out--I'm not sure if it's heavier construction or what, but the Bundy II is much more temperature tolerant than the Yamaha. If I'm playing in a warm venue (room/ outdoors during summer) I have to retune the Yamaha much more often. The Bundy II is much more "Set it and forget it."

#17 ·
Probably has something to do with the bore. Bueschers (Bundys by extention in this case) are darker, more spread, and more flexible than the mid range focused Selmers and Yamahas. That flexibility makes their tuning a little bit more manageable in general, and is especially handy when temperature is a factor. As far as the construction itself goes, this era of Bundy horn is as about as robust as Yamahas and Selmers. So the construction itself isn't really contributing to this phenomenon.

#18 ·
Well, I'm still liking the Bundy II. I should clarify the comment about the smoothness of the keywork. It does not rival my pro horns, but is very manageable. The keys fit my hands quite well, with the exceptions noted in my original post here. So, the keywork is quite even and, after an hour or so, feels pretty good.

I've had a couple of "jams" where I took it, and it did the job very well. It's not stellar, but sounds nice, plays in tune and is quite a bit more fun to play than most of the tenors my school had.

#19 ·
Well, I'm still liking the Bundy II. I should clarify the comment about the smoothness of the keywork. It does not rival my pro horns, but is very manageable. The keys fit my hands quite well, with the exceptions noted in my original post here. So, the keywork is quite even and, after an hour or so, feels pretty good.

I've had a couple of "jams" where I took it, and it did the job very well. It's not stellar, but sounds nice, plays in tune and is quite a bit more fun to play than most of the tenors my school had.
A gazillion of them made and the favorite saxophones of grade school band directors everywhere up until the late 70's / early '80's for the very reasons you cite.

#21 ·
I have a selmer bundy mk 2 which is immaculate to look at, I can't find a single mark on it, I was told it had hardly been played and it seems that way to look at, even the cast still has the paper label on it. I'm having real problems with high G though, (just g keys and active key) it's screeches and squaks it's terrible. (This doesn't happen on my alto) It's great to hear of good reviews with this horn from you guys but does anyone have any idea what my issue can be? IV checked the mouthpiece and reed, pop test is as should be. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.