Bundy II Plays Well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bundy II Plays Well

So, I recently purchased a Selmer Bundy II. I didn't pay a lot for it and it seemed to play pretty well when I picked it up.

My regular tenor was due for a "tune up", so I dropped it off with my tech until Monday. I don't have any gigs this weekend and have had a chance to do a few hours with the Bundy. I am pleasantly surprised! Although the ergos, in particular the palm keys the height of the Bbis are a bit annoying. I plan to put some risers on the palm keys (Sugru perhaps?) and see how to deal with the Bbis. I tend to slide under it a bit and lightly catch my index finger on it. I'm sure it is something I can adapt to.

The thing that impresses me most is not the relatively smooth action but the nice "round" Selmer tone. This is something I've always loved about my MKVI alto but hadn't really found as prominent on tenor. I've been playing a Warburton LA 7* with a RJS3s on my main tenor. I also have an Warburton LA 8 as a backup. I put a RJS2m on it that I had played quite a bit and, instantly, the old Bundy sang. There is something very nice about the way this sax sub tones and the low end can project without getting harsh. I have two rehearsals tomorrow and will take the Bundy there.

I had one at the last school I taught at, but it didn't have the nice tone of this one. Has anyone else been impressed with these Bundy II's? (The Selmer Company, USA, 1036XXX)
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 8, ED Rovner lig., Just Joe's Neckstrap!
    Alto: Selmer Mk VI, Barone Vintage, ED Rovner lig
    Soprano: Jupiter 947, Bari HR, ED Rovner lig

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Forum Contributor 2010-2017 maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bundy II Plays Well

It should. You'll be pleasantly surprised that this horn is actually a Buescher model 127 tenor design from 1900-something to 1945 with some Ralph Morgan designed updated key work in the early to mid 1970's. The key work was not usually well executed, but good enough for marching band, although the body is classic Buescher 127 (True Tone). They sound great, intonation is good, but it was meant by Selmer USA to be a student marching band horn based on a much earlier pro horn model, so the the finer details regarding the features and action aren't particularly special. Still, if you're willing to have them set up correctly, they're pretty good horns.

So much for that nice round Selmer tone.
    1926 Buescher Model 122 True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano
    1926 Buescher Model 120 True Tone Series III Silver Plated Straight Alto

1936 Buescher Model 139 Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone
    1938 Buescher Model 127 Aristocrat (Art Deco) Tenor

1938 Buescher Model 139 Aristocrat Gold Plated Baritone (some day)
    1947 Buescher Model B-11 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Bare Brass Tenor
    1949 Buescher Model B-7 400 (Top Hat & Cane) Silver Plated Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 140 Aristocrat (Big B) Alto
    1949 Buescher Model 156 Aristocrat (Big B) Gold Plated Tenor
    1970-something Yamaha Model YBS-61 Baritone
    2015 Vibrato A1S III Plastic Alto

Morgan, Ishimori, Strathon, and Theo Wanna Mouthpieces.

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I learn something new every day.

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maddenma View Post
    It should. You'll be pleasantly surprised that this horn is actually a Buescher model 127 tenor design from 1900-something to 1945 with some Ralph Morgan designed updated key work in the early to mid 1970's. The key work was not usually well executed, but good enough for marching band, although the body is classic Buescher 127 (True Tone). They sound great, intonation is good, but it was meant by Selmer USA to be a student marching band horn based on a much earlier pro horn model, so the the finer details regarding the features and action aren't particularly special. Still, if you're willing to have them set up correctly, they're pretty good horns.

So much for that nice round Selmer tone.
    You beat me to it. I rarely share this, but in HS band, one of the best sounding, easy playing horns was one of the lowly Bundy II's out of dozens. I should have bought that one then, but I was young and foolish, and believed "technology" was going to bring us better horns in the future. And it still is! (said with friendly sarcasm ).

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that is a great bit of history! I had no idea the design was from the Buecher model 127. I played a Buescher alto for a while and also liked the tone. So, I must update my comments, given the new information. I really like the tone of the Bundy II. I reminds me of the "round" sound I get on my MKVI alto. As maddenma states, the action is not amazing, but certainly works well enough for a student horn. Thanks again for the information. Should folks wonder if the Bundy II is a decent student sax? I would say the answer is yes.
    Last edited by Souportwenty; 02-07-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Typo
    Tenor: Saxart Creative Tenor Silverplate, Warburton LA 8, ED Rovner lig., Just Joe's Neckstrap!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What mouthpiece works well with these? Mines really bad under the staff and it has a new D pad, no leaks, and just got a check up, its a 1979, and I'm using a Yamaha 4c.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't a Bundy II be the later model with the right side bell keys? I assume the first series Bundy was like the Buescher but my knowledge of the 80s horns is not great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it was made in the late 70's, early 80's, and had the bell keys on the right side

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just had a student get their freshly overhauled Bundy II alto back from the shop. The horn was found at a thrift shop for $36 without a case. Pads were shot, and there was one large dent in the bow, but it didn't look too bad mechanically. The parents got the overhaul, SKB case, and Yamaha 4C mouthpiece all for about $600. I tried the horn out after our lesson, and was pretty impressed. The palm keys were lower than I would've liked, but the ergos are fairly solid. The horn is darker and more spread than Yamaha's offerings. Not bad at all, but doesn't "pop" as much as I'd prefer. Still though, they're solid horns, and I would most certainly be able to gig on one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played my Bundy II alto almost exclusively til last spring when I got a Yamaha 62-II. It's a solid horn (mine dates from the mid '70s), but usually needed a little tech TLC once a year (level pads, etc). When properly regulated, I didn't have any problems with the low end, although when not it does have a godawful burble from low C down. Of course, now that I've played the tilting LH pinky table, it will be painful to go back! I've had former band directors express surprise that what they were hearing came from a "student horn."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a Bundy II as my backup horn, and I've had occasion to play it a bit when my Conn 10m was shop bound. I'm always surprised at how well it plays when I've used it....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I started learning sax in 1980, I received a Bundy II alto but only played for two years before switching to tenor.

Mine is in excellent shape, as I've periodically had it checked/serviced. I always liked the sound of it.

Quote Originally Posted by billwilk View Post
    I played my Bundy II alto almost exclusively til last spring when I got a Yamaha 62-II. It's a solid horn (mine dates from the mid '70s), but usually needed a little tech TLC once a year (level pads, etc). When properly regulated, I didn't have any problems with the low end, although when not it does have a godawful burble from low C down. Of course, now that I've played the tilting LH pinky table, it will be painful to go back! I've had former band directors express surprise that what they were hearing came from a "student horn."
    Since I mostly play tenor, how would you compare the airflow of it to the yamaha? Resistant? Free-blowing?

And anybody else, how would you compare Bundy II playability to other altos you've played?

Forum Contributor 2017 sandster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never had a Bundy II alto. I had a Bundy II tenor once and did not like it. It felt kinda "stuffy" to me. I recently picked up a Bundy tenor that I do like. It's more like what maddenma describes above. Evidently from the early 60s. The only marking inscribed, other than the S.N., is "Bundy" on the G# pinky key. I started using this sax when my Grassi tenor went into the shop. I was totally surprised! Great sound, easy to blow. I paid $200 for it and it hasn't needed any work. Yet. There's some leak making the low notes a little resistant and the high "G" isn't coming out clearly. I'll take it in when the Grassi is ready to pick up.
    ?the sandster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Souportwenty View Post

The thing that impresses me most is not the relatively smooth action but the nice "round" Selmer tone.
    Did someone switch out all the springs or something? I do not like the action on these.

I had one at the last school I taught at, but it didn't have the nice tone of this one. Has anyone else been impressed with these Bundy II's? (The Selmer Company, USA, 1036XXX)

I've owned several and haven't liked any of them. Maddenma is a real Buescher guru so if he says this is an old, modified Aristocrat, I'm inclined to believe him. I personally like Bueschers so I can only account for my issues to be implementation related, not design.

Maybe next time I have one I'll check the neck tenon and replace all the springs. I'm curious how it'll turn out.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Forum Contributor 2010-2017 maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JfW View Post
    Did someone switch out all the springs or something? I do not like the action on these.
    You would not be the only one. This is not a pro horn, regardless of it's original body tube design.

Quote Originally Posted by JfW View Post
    I personally like Bueschers so I can only account for my issues to be implementation related, not design.

Originally designed as a professional instrument, executed in the 60's to 80's as a student horn. Not hard to understand what your issues are.

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I learn something new every day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
    When I started learning sax in 1980, I received a Bundy II alto but only played for two years before switching to tenor.

Mine is in excellent shape, as I've periodically had it checked/serviced. I always liked the sound of it.

Since I mostly play tenor, how would you compare the airflow of it to the yamaha? Resistant? Free-blowing?

And anybody else, how would you compare Bundy II playability to other altos you've played?
    I really notice more of a difference between mouthpieces than horns, to be honest. Currently on the Yamaha I'm playing a Selmer Larry Teal which seems to be a good fit for me in the concert bands and quartet I play in. The action of the Yamaha is snappier, which I like. It also seems to amplify more, which meant I had to do a whole lot of refining of technique when I got it. I didn't want to get arrested for assault when tonguing a fast passage, after all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I should point out--I'm not sure if it's heavier construction or what, but the Bundy II is much more temperature tolerant than the Yamaha. If I'm playing in a warm venue (room/ outdoors during summer) I have to retune the Yamaha much more often. The Bundy II is much more "Set it and forget it."

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billwilk View Post
    Oh, and I should point out--I'm not sure if it's heavier construction or what, but the Bundy II is much more temperature tolerant than the Yamaha. If I'm playing in a warm venue (room/ outdoors during summer) I have to retune the Yamaha much more often. The Bundy II is much more "Set it and forget it."
    Probably has something to do with the bore. Bueschers (Bundys by extention in this case) are darker, more spread, and more flexible than the mid range focused Selmers and Yamahas. That flexibility makes their tuning a little bit more manageable in general, and is especially handy when temperature is a factor. As far as the construction itself goes, this era of Bundy horn is as about as robust as Yamahas and Selmers. So the construction itself isn't really contributing to this phenomenon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm still liking the Bundy II. I should clarify the comment about the smoothness of the keywork. It does not rival my pro horns, but is very manageable. The keys fit my hands quite well, with the exceptions noted in my original post here. So, the keywork is quite even and, after an hour or so, feels pretty good.

I've had a couple of "jams" where I took it, and it did the job very well. It's not stellar, but sounds nice, plays in tune and is quite a bit more fun to play than most of the tenors my school had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Souportwenty View Post
    Well, I'm still liking the Bundy II. I should clarify the comment about the smoothness of the keywork. It does not rival my pro horns, but is very manageable. The keys fit my hands quite well, with the exceptions noted in my original post here. So, the keywork is quite even and, after an hour or so, feels pretty good.

I've had a couple of "jams" where I took it, and it did the job very well. It's not stellar, but sounds nice, plays in tune and is quite a bit more fun to play than most of the tenors my school had.
    A gazillion of them made and the favorite saxophones of grade school band directors everywhere up until the late 70's / early '80's for the very reasons you cite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you should post this. Just last week I played a friend's Bundy II tenor in order to diagnose and fix an octave key regulation issue. Damn thing sounded almost exactly like my Mark VI.