Sax on the Web Forum banner

Alto for music education????

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dctwells 
#1 ·
is it true that at many schools music education majors are required to play/ audition on alto?

As a passionate tenor player -- this really throws a wrench into my college plans

#2 ·
Alto is the mainstay of college sax programs, but what happens at "many" schools should be irrelevant to you. Find out what's required at the schools in which you're most interested. In the end, you'll be attending only one college. I rather doubt that Houlik at Duquesne would force you to audition on alto. And if you're going into music education rather than performance, you might not have to audition anyway.

#5 ·
Are you afraid that playing the alto is going to turn you into something that you are not? College only lasts a few years, then you move on.

#8 ·
Every school is different so you really won't know until you get each schools audition requirements. I went to University of Colorado where you had to do classical alto for two years, and then you could "get permission" to move to tenor once you were a Junior. In my experience the alto requirement is actually more for performance majors than music Ed majors. Schools want the performance majors on alto because 99% of the"essential" literature is for alto. With ed majors they don't actually care as much which horn you play as long as you have a basic level of proficiency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.