Petite Suite by Walter Hartley

Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member qwerty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Petite Suite by Walter Hartley

This year for New York All State Auditions, I am having a couple of my alto saxophone students perform Walter Hartley's Petite Suite.

I haven't done a lot of Hartley's music myself, as it's honestly not my cup of tea, but figured I'd step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I am enjoying working on it myself and the introductory lessons with my students have been quite positive.

Does anyone here have a recording they might recommend? I always find it useful to have a good recording available, particularly if I am unfamiliar with the piece. Thanks in advance,

Steve
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. -- F.Z.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Petite Suite by Walter Hartley

Ronald Caravan just released a great performance of this work on an 8 CD set of clarinet and saxophone music. I'm not sure if it is available just yet, but it a great reference. Contact Dr. Caravan for more information.

Paul Cohen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petite Suite is on Jamal Rossi's CD, Caprice. The album as a whole is excellent, although I can't compare his version of the Hartley to any others, because it's the only one I have.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cohen View Post
    Ronald Caravan just released a great performance of this work on an 8 CD set of clarinet and saxophone music. I'm not sure if it is available just yet, but it a great reference. Contact Dr. Caravan for more information.

Paul Cohen
    Thank you Paul!
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid. -- F.Z.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    Petite Suite is on Jamal Rossi's CD, Caprice. The album as a whole is excellent, although I can't compare his version of the Hartley to any others, because it's the only one I have.
    WOW! And I own this CD! I'll put it in tonight when I get home and give it a listen! THANKS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recorded it a few years back and put it up on youtube.. Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-ZgB2MqPU
    Chris Condon

8th Army Band

Distinguished SOTW Member CarlHeanerd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frederick Hemke has an old LP called "Contest Music for Saxophone" on which he plays Petite Suite, among other things. Try interlibrary loaning it?

http://www.worldcat.org/title/contes...e/oclc/9439934
    Soprano: Selmer Paris Series III Selmer Paris S90 170 + Vandoren Traditional 3.5 Selmer Paris Silver Ligature
    Alto: Selmer Paris Series III
    Selmer Paris S80 C* + D'Addario Reserve 3.0+
    Ishimori Gold Ligature

www.heaneymusic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have enjoyed teaching this piece this year! I had one young lady play it last week for her All-State audition with great success and another is to play it later today. She will probably play it even better!

Hartley's music is still not my cup of tea, but having prepared students for All-State and college auditions for 30+ years, it's always good to have some new repertoire to choose from and teach. This old dog can learn new tricks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had two students at two separate audition sites receive perfect scores on the Petite Suite. Thanks for all the suggestions on reference recordings. I believe they helped a great deal!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Achristocrat View Post
    I recorded it a few years back and put it up on youtube.. Here ya go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-ZgB2MqPU
    Chris, that's my favorite recording/version of Petite Suite. Some day when I attempt to do classical stuff more justice, I can only hope to sound half as good.

John