Sax on the Web Forum banner

Petite Suite by Walter Hartley

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jgreiner 
#1 ·
This year for New York All State Auditions, I am having a couple of my alto saxophone students perform Walter Hartley's Petite Suite.

I haven't done a lot of Hartley's music myself, as it's honestly not my cup of tea, but figured I'd step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I am enjoying working on it myself and the introductory lessons with my students have been quite positive.

Does anyone here have a recording they might recommend? I always find it useful to have a good recording available, particularly if I am unfamiliar with the piece. Thanks in advance,

Steve

#4 ·
Ronald Caravan just released a great performance of this work on an 8 CD set of clarinet and saxophone music. I'm not sure if it is available just yet, but it a great reference. Contact Dr. Caravan for more information.

Paul Cohen
Thank you Paul!

#7 ·
#8 ·
I have enjoyed teaching this piece this year! I had one young lady play it last week for her All-State audition with great success and another is to play it later today. She will probably play it even better!

Hartley's music is still not my cup of tea, but having prepared students for All-State and college auditions for 30+ years, it's always good to have some new repertoire to choose from and teach. This old dog can learn new tricks!

#9 ·
I had two students at two separate audition sites receive perfect scores on the Petite Suite. Thanks for all the suggestions on reference recordings. I believe they helped a great deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.