Sax on the Web Forum banner

Evette Schaeffer C-Melody tenor--Worth overhauling?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sidepipes 
#1 ·
OK, I know this is a matter of opinion and I'd be better off discussing it with a tech. But before I drive 100+ miles to see him, I thought I'd ask you guys. I received what appears to be a silver-plated Evette Schaeffer Buffet Crampon C-Melody sax as a late Christmas gift. It's playable--just barely--but definitely needs a repad. Finish is in pretty good shape. No pearls. One biggish ding on the bow. A bunch of mouthpieces--how do I know which ones (if any) are C-melody? Two necks (again, how do I spot the original?). No HP/LP mark on the sax that I can find but it plays fairly close to in tune with what may or may not be the correct neck and mouthpiece, so I'm guessing LP.

I can find next to nothing about this sax on the internet. Are Evette Schaeffers from around 1920 or so any good? I realize C-melodies aren't well thought of, but it seems to me that a decent one (and this one's probably not in the running) might be pretty much fun to have around.

Your thoughts?

Hey, the sax doesn't even smell all that bad. . . though band-aids have been used in place of felts in some locations--always a nice touch. Also has one of the coolest end plugs I've ever seen, done up in silver.

Can maybe post a picture or two later when tech support (my daughter) gets home from school.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have one and I think it's pretty good and would be worth overhauling if you want to play it -of course, if you want to sell it later you'll never recover the money you put in the repairs.
OTOH I've never played an other C-melody (I'm mainly an alto player but also play some tenor).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.