RIP..... David Bowie - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Distinguished SOTW Member. Shaneygrog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: RIP..... David Bowie

That was a great article, thanks very much for sharing. The perfect last paragraph about inspiration hits me deep.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    It's the only way I think I'll be able to come to terms with the feeling of loss I've been overcome with by his unexpected death. I don't know why I'm experiencing this and it seems silly or absurd since I didn't know the man personally, but it really has affected me deeply. Why? Am I the only one?
    You are not alone, Michael.
    David Bowie left behind an amazing catalog of songs and a fabulous touring band.

I don't like everything that he did, but the songs that I like, I like a lot.
    I am sad that his work has ended.
    I too will miss him.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post
    I don't know why I'm experiencing this and it seems silly or absurd since I didn't know the man personally, but it really has affected me deeply. Why? Am I the only one?
    Isn't it weird? I think the last time an artist's death hit me was... I don't know when. Maybe Michael Brecker? But news about his health slowly trickled down to the fans and I knew he did not have long. A bone marrow transplant for an Ashkenazy Jew being a very difficult proposition. So, when he passed I was saddened, but not surprised. (But man... he could have had so many productive years ahead musically and personally).

But Bowie's music didn't affect me quite like Brecker's during my youth. The Beatles are still my favorite rock/pop band. Is it the way he passed? ON his own terms giving us his last spasms of art as he left us? I think partly it is his artistic integrity. Uncompromising, not repeating, very Miles Davis-like.

In the end though, I'd have to say it is his music. His music has slowly over my 4 decades insinuated itself not only in my music collection, but so many great movies... and even TV ads. Slowly sidling itself right next to my heart.

Like in the movie Life Aquatic with Steve Zizou which had his music throughout...

Anyway, it is very surprising how saddened I have been about his passing... whatever the reasons.

(formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gutted the Starman has left us. Blackstar is another master piece from him. Heres my tribute to him, RIP

https://youtu.be/HPSj61EujUM
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Gutted the Starman has left us. Blackstar is another master piece from him. Heres my tribute to him, RIP

https://youtu.be/HPSj61EujUM
    Nice. I've been internalizing Bowie melodies recently when I practice; he was pretty melodic as contemporary songwriters go, very quotable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He loved the sax. OMG, what a stroke of genius to bring Sanborn in for Young Americans! That was one of Bowie's great gifts- SRV, etc. to hear what musicians in very different genres would sound like in his world. I got to sing/play about 6 Bowie songs with his drummer Dennis Davis on the cans at a disco in Scarsdale, NY called Tramps- what a player! In the early 80s, I played for David with my then band Ronnie and the Jitters at his favorite hangout Hurrah in Manhattan. He liked my playing and left word for me! There's a great story in the Wendy Leigh bio about Bowie hiring a UK session saxman for one of the big albums. When David was still David Jones, he'd showed up at the guy's house and asked for lessons, which he got. The player was totally shocked when he realized that the already famous Bowie was his old mentee David Jones! RIP indeed, and thanks for all the incredible music.

Forum Contributor 2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still grieving.....
    his tunes are still with us though,so thats a good thing....
    RIP....
    cheers,philip

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not dead guys, he just went back to the planet from whence he came after sharing the artistic secrets of a more advanced race.

Seriously though, what a loss, RIP.

Loren

Forum Contributor 2016-17 DavisConnArtist's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several days (weeks, months. . .) late on this thread, but. . . "Blackstar" has tons of sax on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavisConnArtist View Post
    Several days (weeks, months. . .) late on this thread, but. . . "Blackstar" has tons of sax on it.
    Yes, and it sounds great. I've been listening to it a lot lately.

I ran across this yesterday and found it really interesting. Several former Bowie collaborators (Garson and Slick chief among them) discuss working with him. There were some really enlightening observations about his production and management style that said a lot about his creative process as it related to working with other people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi2Bqk77jF4

Distinguished SOTW Member jaysne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was 14 in 1973 when Space Oddity came out. Being a fan of the space program, I bought the single and listened to it intently. But what really caught my ear was the "electrified" saxophone you hear a couple of times, playing a rapid flurry of ascending notes. I'd never heard a sax that sounded like that. Not sure what the effect he put on it was, but it was very compelling to me. That made me a Bowie fan for good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaysne View Post
    I was 14 in 1973 when Space Oddity came out. Being a fan of the space program, I bought the single and listened to it intently. But what really caught my ear was the "electrified" saxophone you hear a couple of times, playing a rapid flurry of ascending notes. I'd never heard a sax that sounded like that. Not sure what the effect he put on it was, but it was very compelling to me. That made me a Bowie fan for good!
    I've always appreciated that he would alternate over the course of his career with playing the sax himself on his recordings and hiring others to play. I can't think of an instance in which he plays alongside anyone else; on every recording on which he plays, I think it's just him. He spoke himself about knowing his own limitations on the instrument; I think that's why he would bring in Sanborn, Pickett, McCaslin and others when he felt that it was appropriate and played himself when he felt like it worked. In this and other respects, it's amazing to me how he never seemed to allow his ego to get in the way of the work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a documentary that was done on the BBC about Bowie called Five Years and it really is wonderful. It was on TV here on Sunday night and it made me even more in awe of the man as all the musicians and producers who he got to work with him talked about his artistic and creative process in creating the music that made him such an iconic composer and performer. The man was brilliant and knew what he was doing every step of the way even when he didn't know what he was doing. Once he discovered the merest hint of what it was he wanted to do you then knew exactly how to go about creating it. Watching greats like Carlos Alomar, Nlle Rodgers, Fripp, Eno and others talk about working with him was not just elucidating but mind opening insight into the creative musical process behind all the songs we have heard and loved all these years. They didn't happen by chance but were created by brilliant minds and ears.
    'How far y'all going?' Ruby asked us with a sigh.
    'We're going all the way 'till the wheels fall off and burn.
    Till the sun peels the paint and the seat covers fade and the water moccasin dies'.

Forum Contributor 2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The documentary is great, great footage of Donny... It's on the bbc I player, it's been removed from YouTube already

Forum Contributor 2012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in university when Ziggy Stardust hit the streets.

Bowie, in the British telephone booth, ala Superman, in Ziggy regalia on the album cover.
    The music was unlike any other progressive rock, and in stark contrast to the neo folk of Neil Young's Harvest, and others of the time.

His stage persona continually morphed, as time went on.

Girls would show up to concerts in full makeup and costume, copying the looks of Ziggy and Aladinsane, only to be superseded by yet fresh and different presentations of Bowie's onstage persona.

The Serious Moonlight Tour was possibly Bowie's hugest spectacle ... just awesome, showcasing arguably most of his best music.

He had a killer band for some time recently, and all were present on the Reality tour, Earl Slick et al ... simply amazing.

I will always be a huge fan...so sad not to witness ... so much more Bowie.. and especially with his most recent band.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4