Strange ad - ever heard of a bari sax in D?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Strange ad - ever heard of a bari sax in D?!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place - I don't see a sub-forum for D Bari Sax!

"Please note that this instrument plays a half step flat. There is a problem with the tone holes and the entire horn is out. This bari can not be tuned to A440, but is fine for non-ensemble playing. . . This baritone saxophone would be well suited for all styles and levels of music."

http://used.samashmusic.com/item.php?id=48115

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Strange ad - ever heard of a bari sax in D?!

... simply a PRC faulty experiment
    Don't play everything you know on every solo

Forum Contributor 2016 musekatcher's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, but hey, a D Bari! Perfect for Motown, early rock, all sharp key music! But I'd be concerned that its not consistent. Might be worth a call to their winds department and ask...

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couldn't stand it so I called. They say its in good pitch with itself. They felt that it was close to a half step flat, but didn't have a precise measurement. Only a trial would tell if its manageable. Could be a cool instrument to have for certain gigs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is flat all the range or bell notes only? I'm wondering if it may be corrected respectively from the neck or with crescents
    Don't play everything you know on every solo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy said it was in tune and pitched with itself, which means to me, that the Ds are a 5th from the Gs, The octave Gs are correct, etc. If its a half step flat from top to bottom, then its consistent, and usable. Pitched in D instead of Eb, you only transpose a whole step, instead of 3 half steps, which is easier for some keys. Concert C is now D, Concert F is now G, Concert G is now A, Concert A is now B. However, Concert B is now C#, and Concert E is F# so there's a trade off. I'm skeptical though, as I doubt it was designed to pitch in D. It would be a real stroke of luck if they made a design error that affected the pitch across its range, and preserved the intonation too. There's only one way to tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musekatcher View Post
    The guy said it was in tune and pitched with itself, which means to me, that the Ds are a 5th from the Gs, The octave Gs are correct, etc. If its a half step flat from top to bottom, then its consistent, and usable. Pitched in D instead of Eb, you only transpose a whole step, instead of 3 half steps, which is easier for some keys. Concert C is now D, Concert F is now G, Concert G is now A, Concert A is now B. However, Concert B is now C#, and Concert E is F# so there's a trade off. I'm skeptical though, as I doubt it was designed to pitch in D. It would be a real stroke of luck if they made a design error that affected the pitch across its range, and preserved the intonation too. There's only one way to tell.
    I believe it would transpose a whole step DOWN, because a C on this Bari would play a concert D. The transposed notes you listed would be for a Bb sax. So, concert C is Bb, Concert F is Eb, Concert G is F, ETC...

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some folks have high pitch horns (I just met some one) and THINK (but can’t) that they can play a saxophone in a different key.

Couldn't stand it so I called. They say its in good pitch with itself. They felt that it was close to a half step flat, but didn't have a precise measurement. Only a trial would tell if its manageable. Could be a cool instrument to have for certain gigs.

If you want a HP Dolnet baritone I’ll put you in touch
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Distinguished SOTW Member jmathesonjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually it would transpose more than that. It is a baritone saxophone. You would need to add an octave to that. A Concert D would be played as a C on this instrument. That means it would transpose down a fifteenth, if I did my math correctly.
    YBS-62 Baritone Saxophone - Overhauled by PM Woodwind
    Francois Louis B 345 SP
    Vandoren 2.5 - 3.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the bari is high pitch many feel it is off only by half tone higher

BUT IT IS NOT!

Read , if you don’t know, about HP saxophones pitched in A=457Hz.

Conversion and transpositions are IMPOSSIBLE (unless you are superman with your embouchure)

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...h-to-low-pitch
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Berry sax View Post
    I believe it would transpose a whole step DOWN, because a C on this Bari would play a concert D. The transposed notes you listed would be for a Bb sax. So, concert C is Bb, Concert F is Eb, Concert G is F, ETC...
    Did I get this inverted? Lets see: An Eb instrument plays 3 half steps above concert. Fingered C is concert Eb, Fingered D is F, etc. The sax in question plays a half step flat. Subtracting a half step - Fingered C is now D, Fingered D is now E - I think I got it right. Actually, I know I got it right, because the store called me back, I spoke to a salesman who played it, and I checked pitches over the phone - not a pleasant experience with intonation very wrong. It was a recent Asian make, that either suffered some trauma, botched repair, wrong neck, operator error - definitely not a "D" instrument, not playable in its condition, and not worth traveling North to pinpoint. Thankfully since, a nice 60's French baritone found its way to my "flat"
    Best, Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do they not have a precise measurement? surely a music store has an electric tuner on hand. that sounds suspicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Some folks have high pitch horns (I just met some one) and THINK (but can’t) that they can play a saxophone in a different key.
    correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a high pitch baritone play somewhere between concert Eb and concert E instruments in A440? so whatever this thing is, it's not a high pitch instrument if it's as described.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxonabike View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't a high pitch baritone play somewhere between concert Eb and concert E instruments in A440? so whatever this thing is, it's not a high pitch instrument if it's as described.
    Not exactly, because frequency of notes have a designated magnitude of increase (or decrease). So an octave is double the frequency of the previous note. A=440 -> octave A=880. Now if you have a HP horn with A=457 -> octave A=914.

Now HP A=457 is near LP A#=466.16 -- diference of 9points
    But HP A=914 and LP A#=932.33 -- diference of 18points

Basically, has you go up or down in the scale it goes further from the notes on the conventional A=440 scale. The only way to play this instruments is playing them with other same pitched instruments.
    Viajar sempre a cantar... e a tocar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kreacher View Post
    Not exactly, because frequency of notes have a designated magnitude of increase (or decrease). So an octave is double the frequency of the previous note. A=440 -> octave A=880. Now if you have a HP horn with A=457 -> octave A=914.

Basically, has you go up or down in the scale it goes further from the notes on the conventional A=440 scale. The only way to play this instruments is playing them with other same pitched instruments.
    yes, that is true. but what i was referring to was the fact that milandro seemed to be implying that the bari the OP mentioned was a high pitch instrument, which would play sharp relative to a low pitch baritone, whereas it is claimed that the horn in question plays half a step flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, I noticed it too, but tought you were talking about something else. Well, in extremis it could be a HP C Baritone, puting it in D :P
    Viajar sempre a cantar... e a tocar!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I thought it was sharp not flat.

therefore I concluded it must have been hp since I have dealt with someone with this problem lately, must have been thinking in that direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah yes, I noticed it too, but tought you were talking about something else. Well, in extremis it could be a HP C Baritone, puting it in D :P
    No.

Almost C# is what you mean.
    There’s a wicked wind still blowing on that upper deck; There’s an iron cross still hanging from around her neck;
    There’s a marching band still playing in that vacant lot, Where she held me in her arms one time and said, “Forget me not.”

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think this is correct. If a high pitched instrument is tunes to it's correct pitch (i.e. the mouthpiece is in the right place and it's octaves are in tune with each other), then the difference in pitch between this HP instrument and a low pitch (440) instrument is the same throughout the range (allowing for slight intonation quirks on a note by note basis common to all saxophones)

It is correct as you say:

Now HP A=457 is near LP A#=466.16
    But HP A=914 and LP A#=932.33

and that there is a bigger numeric difference between 914 and the LP upper octave of 932, however this difference of 18 is Hertz, not points or percent. So the difference in pitch between 457/466.16 and 914/932.33 is the same even though the numbers are bigger.

The issue of pitch differences over the range arises when you push the mouthpiece of a HP instrument further than it should be, e.g. to actually make the A = 466.16 in order to make it play (e.g.) as a baritone in E, because in that case the instrument is indeed out of tune with itself.

In this thread , what we are talking about though is a baritone supposedly pitched in D by design, unless there is some other extra low pitch tuning standard we don't know about. It seems very odd.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no saxophone is an unicum, if there was any such a thing as a saxophone designed to be tuned in D we would have met this before

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 99.99% sure that whoever claimed the horn is pitched in D does not play saxophone and also does not understand transposition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast