Sax on the Web Forum banner

Evaluating a Used Saxophone For Purchase (video)

11K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  MLucky 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I made this video a week or so ago. I wish I'd thought to visit this section first, as I am sure there are things in the stickies at the top that I could have integrated into it. But anyhow, here it is, hopefully with the visual stuff added this is helpful to use yourself or to link to a friend/student who starts asking questions about buying a horn. Also it was one of my first ever edited videos (typically I just do one long unscripted take, this was from a script and I tried my hand at simple editing) and I screwed up the very first cut, by forgetting to take off the first few seconds! But I've got crap internet and I'm too lazy to re-upload it. So enjoy a few moments of awkwardness before the video starts.

I also copied the script here in case you'd like to read it as well, but I ad-libbed a few things in the video that aren't in the script so watch the video if you can.

#8 ·
I got lucky, judging by your informative video. I bought online from a non-player who was selling a barely used Vito/Japan. My first purchase wasn't so fortunate, but that one only cost me the return shipping.
This is the second video of yours I've watched, and both have been well done, and very helpful productions that everyone who owns a horn should take the time to watch. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us.

#9 ·
Great video!

One can learn a lot from making mistakes, but when it comes to purchasing saxes, I would much preferred to have remained ignorant and saved a lot of money. Of the saxes that I currently own, none were purchased online from private sellers (including SOTW) without a major overhaul afterwards; the sole exception is a very vintage alto from Uwe Steinmetz. Ironically, I have recovered some losses (without intention) by selling vintage Selmers on consignment through established retailers. I didn't want to take the risk of misrepresenting items of such value or having to offer refunds (which I usually do) and it worked out great. It does, however, require patience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.