Sax on the Web Forum banner

Standard Artist's Model C Melody

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  jhammons01 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I recently came into ownership of a C Melody saxophone with minimal engraving, and I'm hoping for some assistance identifying the manufacturer and any other information I can get.

The engraving is limited to the front of the bell, which says "Standard Artist's Model" with some decorative engraving around it and the serial number, 50668, and "LP" on the back of the body. It has a curved neck and a brushed silver finish with what appears to be nickel silver keywork (there's quite a bit of tarnish and oxidation).

I don't have any pictures of the actual horn readily available, but I found one listed on an auction site that is identical:

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Plant Saxophone

The auction site wrongly identified the horn as a Conn from the 1950s, but the keywork and other design features bear a strong resemblance to 1920s Martins I've seen (no front F, LH pinky key shape, split bell keys, etc.)

I know there were a lot of stencils made in the '20s, but if anyone has information that would help me to positively identify the maker, I'd appreciate it!

See less See more
#8 ·
I'm pretty certain the neck is original. The serial number stamped on the body is 50668. There is a 668 stamped on the ring at the top of the neck tenon.

I ran across another thread here: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?198106-Wurlitzer-American-C-melody-Martin-provenance-(-)

The characteristics shown in the pictures there match my sax to a "T."

Also, I didn't notice it before, but the G# key in the picture I placed in the original post is not the same as the one on my horn. Mine is wider with rounded ends like the one in the other thread.

#10 ·
The "L.P.", 50000-range serial number, and partial serial stamped on the neck are indicators of an Elkhart Band Inst. Co. instrument.

I have a theory on what these instruments actually were but not enough firm evidence as of yet.

#11 ·
Those that believe this to be Elkhart Band Instrument Co, subsidiary of Buescher are in the correct direction. I have registered several of these and mention them in a recent post in the Elkhart Registry forum. Based on the Trademark registration these are 1922-24, maybe a bit later vintage. The brand comes from the Standard Music Co of Chicago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.