Sax on the Web Forum banner

Why a lamp?

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Roundmidnite 
#1 ·
#5 ·
+100

That glass sconce, or whatever they call them, in that awful color is horrible by itself, but is a total mismatch with the square base. Yuck!!!

#4 ·
there are tons of saxophones out there waiting to become a lamp.

They are not worth repairing because the cost of repairs are growing while their value isn't.

It is a horrible kitsch lamp but some people like these contraptions. On Discovery channel there was this program " Dirty Money" featuring the Diresta bros.

They are basically scavengers with one of them who has a " gift" to make mostly hideous things out of nothing. They bring them to a flea market in the city and sell them to people of poor taste.

http://fleamarketzone.com/2011/08/tv-show-stars-flea-artisans/

#6 ·
there are tons of saxophones out there waiting to become a lamp.
:lol::badgrin::cheers::sign5::sign5:

That must be the most cleverly ironic sentence I've read in years. I can see them all lined up, waiting their turn to be chosen as the next lamp candidate. LOL-- Great One Milandro.

#7 ·
I think of all the walmart ( et similia ) saxophones bought for less than $250. Come the time you need a repad, the tech asks $500 ( assuming that it has worked a few years without an itch) and then you dump it.

The disposable saxophone.

You can buy two for the price of an overhaul.

I see lots of ads offering this kind of saxophones that aren’t worth repairing or not even being bought by a repairer. At most they might be bought by someone who wants to practice repairing but it would have been a lot better if his efforts were put to the benefit of an old Keilwerth or Grassi for example and would have actually produced a valuable saxophone to sell.

Sooner or later there will be so many on the market that scrap is the only thing they will be used for.

In the olden days techs ( but barbers too, today in the rich part of the world nobody would go to have a shave every day, too expensive, in the olden days there were lots of people doing it, I remember it! I saw someone on telly who went to live in the Czech republic and pays 5€ for having her hair cut and coloured here it costs on average, cheap €50 but more likely €80-100 my wife tells me) were asking moderate amounts of money but for a number of reasons this is no longer possible and even assuming that it is possible, overhauling a cheap saxophone takes as much time and material as a good one.

#8 ·
#15 ·
That looks more like a urinal with a night light - seems a great idea for a bunkhouse in Wyoming in the winter.

#20 ·
apocryphal variation on a famous joke.

The joke existed even before Bill Clinton was born

"A guy comes home completely drunk one night. He lurches through the
door and is met by his scowling wife, who is most definitely not happy.
"Where the hell have you been all night?" she demands.

"At this new bar," he says. "The Golden Saloon. Everything there is golden.
It's got huge golden doors, a golden floor and even the urinal's gold!"

The wife still doesn't believe his story, and the next day checks the
phone book, finding a place across town called the Golden Saloon.
She calls up the place to check her husband's story.

"Is this the Golden Saloon?" she asks when the bartender answers the
phone.
"Yes it is," bartender answers.
"Do you have huge golden doors?"
"Sure do." "Do you have golden floors?"
"Most certainly do."
"What about golden urinals?"
There's a long pause, then the woman hears the bartender yelling,
"Hey, Duke, I think I got a lead on the guy that pissed in your
saxophone last night!"

#21 ·
Great Milandro, and it proves that few jokes are actually new but rather just reworked and updated to fit the times.

#27 ·
I've been looking for a nice saxophone sculpture for my office, but any that are reasonably priced are so cheesy. Seems like there might be some kind of a market for saxophone art like this, based on entirely anecdotal evidence!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.