Sax on the Web Forum banner

Playing bass sax

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  paulwl 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I need some help. I will be playing my schools vintage Conn bass saxophone this semester in our wind symphony and my professor suggested I use one of my bari mouthpieces instead of the bass one. Will this work and does anyone have advice for playing one of these beasts. I don't have to worry about the condition of the instrument as it was overhauled over the summer due to it being held together by rubber bands and tape. Also I have a Jazzlab sax harness to help with the weight. Thanks for any help/advice.

#2 ·
Might work. I'd guess bass sax is played with a bari mouthpiece more often than a bass mouthpiece, just because the latter is rather hard to come by and not much different.

Advice? Learn to play tuba parts. Try adding the palm key when playing D in the staff. Don't qui your day job.

#5 ·
The thing to watch out for on bari mpcs is too short of a facing. It'll cut out the low notes on bass, or at least make them very hard to start or sustain.

I would think a round chambered classical piece would do fine.

Also, when you add the palm D to get D2, lay off the octave key. It'll make D2 sharp otherwise.

Enjoy the big dog of the sax pack!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.