Sax on the Web Forum banner

Changing concept of sound and applying it?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  zonepeter 
#1 ·
I don't necessarily like how dark my sound is on alto/soprano saxophone. I want an edgy, full sound but whatever I try to do I seem to still have the same dark sound. What have you folks done to change your base sound and make it edgier and full? I should also mention I can do the basic overtones series, but that doesn't seem to have help me change my sound. Looking for advice.

#2 ·
Well...some questions:

1) what model horn ?

2) what's your mouthpiece and reed combo ?

I know that the sort of reply you seek has more to do with suggestions on how you can change your embouchure and blowing to produce a different tone...but the fact is, this is also significantly dependent on your 'hardware' you are blowing into....

#3 ·
I play a Cannonball big bell series, and go between a vandoren v16 jumbo java and yanagisawa metal 7 mouthpieces. For reeds I go between these two brands and strengths for the different brands vandoren jazz 3/2.5 reeds or rico royal jazz select 2H/3S.

#4 ·
If you're talking soprano, both the horn and the mouthpieces lean toward a full, round kind of sound.
Moving to a smaller chambered mouthpiece, like an S80 or a ton of others will focus the airstream and will promote you doing the same thing: narrowing the airstream.

Try Alexander Superial reeds for more edge/ brilliance./cut, too.

#5 ·
A smaller tip and harder reed could help. Closing your throat a bit can also work. Best is to have the sound you want firmly in your head and search for it with your current setup. It's a matter of airstream direction and throat position. And it takes time. Just switching pieces will maybe set you on the right track but the real work requires practice.

#6 ·
Try the "tone idol" concept. Find a short simple passage from the player that has the sound concept that you want. Play with it and play it until you move closer to the sound you want. You will then have a better idea of how it feels to sound the way you want to. Stay with it. Like everything with playing, it takes time to change.
Certainly equipment changes can help too, but ultimately your sound comes mostly from your belly to your lips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.