Sax on the Web Forum banner

ralph morgan RM10 clarinet mpc...are these good, bad or excellent?

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jive Dadson 
#1 ·
View attachment 69026

don't know much about clarinet pieces,but i do know the saxophone mpc's made by ralph are excellent....

anybody know much about this clarinet piece?

thanks,philip

#2 ·
These are excellent pieces and are great for doublers due to the duckbill design. The RM-10 is on the closed side. The issue with Morgan Clarinet has to do with age. The older ones were actually made by Ralph himself. These are still in production and it's difficult to determine visually who made the piece. $100 would be a good resale.

#5 ·
I don't know much about mouthpiece design/production - or about Ralph Morgan - but for some reason I doubt that Ralph made every single mouthpiece himself even while he was alive.

Are there any concrete differences between a mouthpiece made after he passed and one made before? It sounds to me like the logic of someone who is trying to sell and older Ralph Morgan piece.

#6 ·
this one i have sold very quickly,and the guy loves it....i have thought that ralph did all his own pieces,as the engravings that i have seen match very well,but there are later ones that donot have this hand engraving.....
anyways,i know very little about ralph,or mouthpieces for that matter and am just rambling on before i go to sleep......
cheers,philip

#7 ·
I really like my RM10. It's about the best sounding piece I have on clarinet. (The Selmer Goodman is pretty nice too.)

#8 ·
I've been playing my RM10 for several years. I've always thought of it as being decent enough but not great. Then I recently tried a Theo Wanne 4 and was expecting/hoping it would have a better sound, but I was surprised at how similar it sounded to the RM10. So I guess it must be a good one. The Wanne was a better mpc but not $200+ better, so I returned it. The tip opening was a bit small too. Also I want to go for a fatter, darker, jazzier sound than the RM10 which has a more legit sound, so if I order a Wanne again I will try a larger tip opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.