Vandoren V16 B9 kicks butt!

E-mail problem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vandoren V16 B9 kicks butt!

Just wanted to say that, as a player who plays slightly larger tip openings than most (8* on soprano and tenor, and a .82 on alto) I've found the mouthpiece that lets me feel comfortable and produces an amazing range of tones for me on baritone - Vandoren's V16 B9. It's a 122 tip opening and for me, is easily the most optimal mouthpiece I've ever played on baritone. I'd have paid twice as much for mine, but Saxquest has them for only $205, which is a bit unbelievable to me. The mouthpiece has so many qualities I've wanted in a bari piece, starting with the "thick" (or what I call "sticky") sound (deep tone), as well as a chamber that allows for subtones, and a sense of weighted power without being annoyingly thin when it gets bright. If you haven't tried this one, bari players, give it a try! I'm playing mine on a YBS-62 and loving every second of it.

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vandoren V16 B9 kicks butt!

When I played a lot of bari I had the B5,7, and 9. All were really great, but I settled on the B7. Worked just as well in the 5-piece jazz ensemble as the 8-piece ska/ rock band. If I bought another bari, I'd buy one of these again for sure. $205 is a STEAL. They're usually closer to $300 (and worth it), and very rarely show up on the used market...for a good reason.

Distinguished SOTW Member EgilF.'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine B9 was not .122", more like .116".
    Anyway a great mouthpiece, specially in the top.
    Last edited by EgilF.; 07-16-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    Julius Keilwerth SX90II soprano - Runyon Custom .070" - Red Java 2.5 / Cannonball Big Bell Stones Series alto - Beechler Custom Bellite .082" - Red Java 2.5 / JK SX90R Tenor - Sugal KW II .110" - ZZ 3.5 / Taishan baritone - Vandoren V16 B9 .110" - Vandoren ZZ 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy my Vandoren V16, but I have to admit when I first got it I felt like my hard rubber Berg does everything the V16 does but does it better and is easier to play. I might throw it back in the rotation and give it another chance in the near future.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too had a V16 B9 that was fantastic. Ultimately my musical needs drove me to a brighter piece but it was a great playing mouthpiece.
    1963 Conn 12m, Gold Lacquered Yamaha YBS-61 - Vandoren V16-B9, JJ DV, Yamaha 5C, Warburton J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might need to go try out a B9. I just realized the one I have is a B7, and I measured it and it measures about .105 which is smaller than I play now. It is a bit smaller than it's listed size as well.
    "My music is the spiritual expression of what I am, My Faith, My Knowledge, My Being." - John Coltrane

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Returning to Bari after 5 yrs..my Bari mpc felt tired, I wanted something new..so to quiet my Jones while deciding what to buy I grabbed a M7 Metalite just to juice things up, but the M7 tip size at .110 felt minimal to me..great mpc for what it is and I'll keep it, just have to get harder reeds. Or an M9

But:

I knew I wanted a prime time mpc too..I been reading and watching vids on the V16 and the thing just flat gets good reviews. So many darn (and expensive) choices. Not to mention all the myriad variables that go with choosing a new mpc. so I just pushed the button on a B9..wish me luck gang !!

got the deal too $204. shipped to Vegas
    Cash's Demo Recordings circa '98-'01
    www.box.net/cashsax

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by click View Post
    This is the test that steered me toward the B9, a great Vid thanks for posting !!
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUPER!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have now made a trade for a .095/M/2 metal Berg, I think this could be a good mpc for me too. It's small at .095 but harder reeds may be an option, or if need be I have a great refacer nearby.. Still waiting for the V16 B9 and playing around with the M7, which at .110 really barks pretty well with a 2.5 orangebox. These 3 should be a good trio of mpcs to capture and develop a solid sound.

Oh yeah I tried to buy a proper cap/lig for the M7... hell they want $30. %^&*(damn I only paid $25 for the mpc.)..lucky I did have a new Rico Tenor cheapo nickel plate lig that fits like a glove but I use a mickey mouse cap..
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The V16 showed up and after a couple of hrs, reed switching, A/B ing other mpc. I'm not feeling the B9 like I thought I would. Tip is too much at .122, she'll be returned I think, still waiting on the Berg metal I swapped my Runyon for.
    www.box.net/cashsax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, I wonder if you got the rare Vandoren dud? My B9 is the easiest playing mpc I own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the B7 and could not be happier.

Pretty much like all mpcs, but finding an in tune, smooth, barking, grunting, howling, smokey job that hangs with the bones when they fire up is a little tricky for yours truly ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my bari neck recorked recently. MY Metalite is snug and fits well, it adjusts and tunes easily On the other hand The V16 M9 went on the neck very loose for the first part of the shank then seemed to fully connect with the neck cork about halfway on, Very strange fit (?) the VD felt almost like a cone shape taper going on the bari neck, anyway it don't matter, I sent it back.
    www.box.net/cashsax