Sax on the Web Forum banner

Working on tone with a leaky sax

727 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  diskman50 
#1 ·
Pretty new to the saxophone, so sorry if this is a naive question...
My tenor is in desperate need of a doctor! The high F pad is currently held on with duct tape and many of the other pads are worn out. I'm sure there are several leaks that I don't even know about right now!

I love practicing tone production, but as you can imagine, the horn is handling pretty strangely. Some notes seem to play fine, while others - especially the ones with F in the overtone series - are super dull sounding and take a lot of persuading to make sing. To make matters worse, I'm at the bottom of a box of vandorens, and these reeds would be a struggle on any horn.

My new reeds won't arrive for a couple days, and I won't be able to have my sax re-padded for a week or two. So my question is, when making sound is this much of an uphill battle, should I be practicing at all? I'm worried that I could be could be building bad embouchure habits.

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 ·
There are plenty of embouchure exercises that you can do without an instrument and these won't lead to bad habits. You can search this forum or youtube for examples. I would recommend waiting until your sax is in working order as it's much harder to correct any bad habits you may develop. Do you have an instructor to get you started?

Diskman50

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.