Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just get a Tone Edge

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    Attachment 172946

I just did what was suggested in this old thread, before ever having read it. I had no intention of buying a new piece, but a deal appeared that looked like a good one, so I jumped.
    I had never played a Link, before it arrived, but within the first fifteen minutes of playing it, I knew it was a good one. For starters, it's absolutely pristine.....visually perfect, in every way. Then, there are the lush subtones.....with plenty of edge when you really push it.....etc.
    I had never even played a 7* before, but it's not a problem with this piece. It just takes a bit more of a focused air stream.
    What I have learned in just two days with this piece is AMAZING! It's hard to put my horn down, for any appreciable length of time! I cannot wait to see what more is in store for me, in the upcoming days.....weeks.....and months! Thank you, St. George!

Thank YOU, Darrell, for taking the leap of faith and going for it. I am happy to be a part of your path.

It sounds like you are truly in the bliss of discovery. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

All the best,

George
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellMass View Post
    Attachment 172946

I just did what was suggested in this old thread, before ever having read it. I had no intention of buying a new piece, but a deal appeared that looked like a good one, so I jumped.
    I had never played a Link, before it arrived, but within the first fifteen minutes of playing it, I knew it was a good one. For starters, it's absolutely pristine.....visually perfect, in every way. Then, there are the lush subtones.....with plenty of edge when you really push it.....etc.
    I had never even played a 7* before, but it's not a problem with this piece. It just takes a bit more of a focused air stream.
    What I have learned in just two days with this piece is AMAZING! It's hard to put my horn down, for any appreciable length of time! I cannot wait to see what more is in store for me, in the upcoming days.....weeks.....and months! Thank you, St. George!
    Glad I could help.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenny Slant Tone Edge 8
    Alto - '66 Mark VI/Meyer 6/Caravan
    Soprano - '93 Yani S-900 w/Tenney Tone Edge 7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of the New Vintage Links can be quite good with a reface. Mine has an EB-like clamshell, lots of character. Even with my vintage Links I keep coming back to it--it's like an old shoe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sugaki View Post
    Some of the New Vintage Links can be quite good with a reface. Mine has an EB-like clamshell, lots of character. Even with my vintage Links I keep coming back to it--it's like an old shoe.
    I'm like a babe in the woods, with mine, but it has qualities about it that are unlike anything else I own. I refaced my Hite Premiere myself, and thought I had made it into a pretty good sounding piece, till I got this Link! I have a lot more to learn, than I thought I had, but I've got a piece to help me get somewhere good, now!
    Hoping it will turn into my comfy old shoes, too.
    Is the "clamshell" that slight depression after the baffle?
    Strive to be better than the day before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Just shed...

Blah, blah, blah blah, blaah. I blah blahed some blah-blah and they wuz was too blah. Then I got a vintage blah blah! Wow it's the FN BlahVille, Katz & Kitties!! Blah with a capital B. BLAH! But it really wan't blah enough... you know what I'm sayin"? You know what I'm sayin'. I hoped vintage blah would give me that oldzcool blah blah blah! But it smells like old shoes... not nearly blah enough. So what to do?

[IMG]Just Get a Tone Edge by , on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Link 6* TE by , on Flickr[/IMG]

"Cool story Bro... no video... never happened..."
    "There is always a cost to playing bebop. Anyone who tells you different is lying. If you get these "free exercises" be prepared to pay dearly!" Steve Neff

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tenorcat View Post
    blah, blah, blah blah, blaah. I blah blahed some blah-blah and they wuz was too blah. Then i got a vintage blah blah! Wow it's the fn blahville, katz & kitties!! Blah with a capital b. Blah! But it really wan't blah enough... You know what i'm sayin"? You know what i'm sayin'. I hoped vintage blah would give me that oldzcool blah blah blah! But it smells like old shoes... Not nearly blah enough. So what to do?

[img]just get a tone edge by , on flickr[/img]

[img]link 6* te by , on flickr[/img]

"cool story bro... No video... Never happened..."

Thanks for clearing that up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing is, QC.

I've bought two recent production Meyers and they looked pretty good and accurate (and played well out of the box). Recent production Selmer, Vandoren, Yanagisawa, and Yamaha MPs appear to have superb QC.

Based on the scuttlebutt about poor Otto Link QC, I would recommend one of the above instead, if the objective is to get a standard middle of the road MP and hit the shed (which, by the way, would generally be my preference over the $1000 boutique MPs).

Yes I understand Link and Meyer are made by the same people, probably in the same factory, but there could be all kinds of reasons for greater consistency of one over the other.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8