Sax on the Web Forum banner

Any OTHER hits with a bass sax?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Tenorlude 
#1 ·
Of course a 'hit' is up for interpretation, but I recently ran across the video for Steve Martin's "King Tut" and realized the sax was a bass!!

[video]http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/king-tut/n8663[/video]

Anyone know of other 'hits' using a bass sax?

#2 ·
Well, Adrian Rollini recorded a boatload of bass sax in the '20s, and a lot of it was popular. California Ramblers/Little Ramblers, Beiderbecke, Trumbauer, et al., "too many to list." Some other players in there, too, but looking for hits I'd start with Rollini.

#7 ·
I read somewhere that when he was playing with Matt Bianco, Ronnie Ross once called one of the members to say he'd just bought a bass sax. He showed up with it but I don't think it was used on any of their tunes... He can be heard on bass on "The Beiderbecke Connection" soundtrack, though.

#8 ·
This is offbeat - but one of my favorite groups. Perhaps only a hit in my little world - but a fun bass solo nonetheless.

#10 ·
A big hit in England in the 1930's - 1950's was Teddy Bear's Picnic, recorded by Henry Hall and His Orchestra, which features bass saxophone and xylophone prominently:

This quote from Wikipedia is certainly what I heard many years ago:

"The 1932 Henry Hall recording was of especially good quality with a large tonal range. It was used for more than 30 years by BBC audio engineers (up until the early 1960s) to test and calibrate the frequency response of audio equipment."

#13 ·

Vampire Weekend was on Saturday Night Live in May of 2013 with Stefan Zeniuk playing bass sax. He is is also the guy who has has perfected the flamophone (propane powered bari sax) and the general of the Baritone Army. He also plays with Gato Loco from Brooklyn. Neat guy and interesting artist in his own right.

Look up The Honking Dead on youtube!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.