Sax on the Web Forum banner

Which of these mouthpieces is best and why?

13K views 43 replies 27 participants last post by  Dr G 
#1 ·
I have been on a mission to find the best mouthpiece, and I am at last coming close. I have narrowed it down to these 6 pieces:
-Morgan Excalibur model 6E alto mouthpiece
-Vandoren V16 model A6S alto mouthpiece
-Meyer G series model 5 alto mouthpiece
-JodyJazz Jet model 7 alto mouthpiece
-Vandoren Jumbo Java model A45 alto mouthpiece
-Beechler Diamond inlay model S6 alto mouthpiece

As you can see, these are all Hard Rubber jazz alto mouthpieces.

I have already tried the JodyJazz Jet model 7, and it is a very good piece. If you want me to stop my quest there, go ahead, but come with a reason.

You can also recommend a different hard rubber jazz alto piece, but explain why it is better than these 6 monsters.

Here's what I am looking for: a hard rubber jazz alto mouthpiece with a big, bright sound, with lots of power and projection, but also with a clear, focused and fat tone as well with crisp highs and lows.

Any suggestions will be appreciated and thank you for your time my fellow saxaholics. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
None of them are expensive enough to be considered the best. If you aren't spending at least 3 months income on the piece you will never commit to it - and never love it.

Seriously, none of us can answer for you.

#3 ·
Morgan Fry Ebonite: Super versatile with a lovely buzz in the mid-range (think classic Meyer but with more projection). With little adjustments of embouchure it's a classical piece, a jazz piece, a funk screamer...all in one meticulously crafted little package.

#4 ·
I'm with Carl . . . mouthpiece choices are highly subjective and even more highly personal. What works for me or Carl or most anyone else probably will not work for you. Only YOU can decide which one is best.

I've played several of those you mentioned and didn't like any of them. But even more disturbing is that most mouthpieces will vary even with the same exact model side-by-side. So whoever says that you should choose Model X isn't considering the differences that may exist among all Model X's. One Model X may be great, the next Model X may be - er, uh - not so great.

Then, the issue becomes one of finances. Some cannot afford to make a choice based on what someone else recommends only to find out what Carl and I wrote was true. Others CAN afford to follow recommendations that don't work - and that's why some of us have boxes filled with mouthpieces that weren't so good for us.

There are two ways to do it - take the risk and buy something sight-unseen OR seek out places that have a good selection and get to the testing. DAVE

#5 ·
I have been on a mission to find the best mouthpiece, and I am at last coming close. I have narrowed it down to these 6 pieces:
. . .
I have already tried the JodyJazz Jet model 7, and it is a very good piece. If you want me to stop my quest there, go ahead, but come with a reason.
What you mean by "already tried"? Do you mean that you haven't tried the other pieces yet?

If you haven't actually played all these pieces, then any characterization of them as the "best" is meaningless. You'll make the selection process easier if you just abandon that concept entirely. It sounds to me as though what you really mean may be this: "I've read about a lot of mouthpieces and/or listened to samples, and I've concluded, based on other people's experiences, that these six pieces are the ones I'm most interested in trying. I'll choose my favorite from the group after testing them all." If that's what you do, the outcome is guaranteed to be correct. No one could tell you that the mouthpiece you preferred after testing is not the one for you.

#8 ·
That was really kind of you and thank you for the advice, but the problem is that there are no music stores around me with any good mouthpeices other than the jet.

#6 ·
LostConn, that is EXACTLY what I meant to say. That was the most helpful quote anyone has ever said to me (no sarcasm intended)!

#11 ·
I am not going to talk you into or out of any mouthpiece. I'll just say this. The Ponzol alto stainless steel fits the description of your ideal sound. Give one a try, if you get a chance.

#13 ·
I agree with the others who say you have to try them to figure out what is best for YOU. Buying from an online store that takes returns is one way to do it. See if there are other players (or SOTW members) in your area who will let you try their pieces (or maybe have spare pieces they will lend you to try). Take a road trip to someplace that has a bunch you can try (I don't know where you are, but you likely won't have to go super far). Or buy reasonably-priced used ones that you can resell without taking a big loss.

#14 ·
I would vote Morgan, Meyer, Jumbo in that order. There is a bit of price difference though. Those 3 can be quite mellow while still cutting. I find the others a bit bright for me but if that is what you are going for, try them along with some others. The Selmer Super Session is a good one too and from the tip openings you mention, a D or E would work.

#16 ·
I'm going to have to say the Jody Jazz Jet I play all Jodys Mouthpieces and the Jet is a great alto mouthpiece. It is very bright and is great for Jazz Blues and Rock. This mouthpiece projects almost like my metal Jody Jazz DV 7*. All I can say is that I have tried all of the mouthpieces above and I simply could not turn down the jet. So I bought it and brought it home and what was the first thing I tried..... Altissimo of course! I hit a altissimo D with no problem. Overall this mouthpiece was missing nothing. So I reccomend you get the jet imho.
Matt

#17 ·
I'm going to have to say the Jody Jazz Jet I play all Jodys Mouthpieces and the Jet is a great alto mouthpiece. It is very bright and is great for Jazz Blues and Rock. This mouthpiece projects almost like my metal Jody Jazz DV 7*. All I can say is that I have tried all of the mouthpieces above and I simply could not turn down the jet. So I bought it and brought it home and what was the first thing I tried..... Altissimo of course! I hit a altissimo D with no problem. Overall this mouthpiecèe was missing nothing. So I reccomend you get the jet imho.
Matt

#18 ·
None of them, IHMO
I would suggest The Rift, Drake Contemporary, Kali...
Otherwise wait Mark's (10MFAN) alto mpcs which will be released soon...
I'm not buying nothing else waiting for a Boss...

#20 ·
I played on a meyer g 6 for 10+ years. It was an excellent mouthpiece. Incredible ease of control throughout the range of the instrument, with a warm, full sound. I eventually started gravitating towards a different sound concept (bright, focused, edgy). I've had great experiences with both the diamond inlays and the jet. (Beechler Bellite an honorable mention). I'm actually tryin to get my hands on a beechler s6s right now lol.

#22 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback on the Rift.

The Rift will give you the color of the Jet but more depth, warmth and complexity. It will do the same compared to the Beechler. It is more expensive but it is hand made and play tested. Unlike the others you have listed. It will out perform most or all you have listed.

Id suggest against the Meyer G. A regular Meyer is a better piece for any use. Ive found the G to be stuffy and miserable to play...even after getting major mouthpiece surgery. I just dont have any use for them. Im sure someone else does.

The Morgans are made well. I find them a bit thin. I find vandorens to be cold and brittle sounding.

Thats my biased 2 cents.

Best of luck

Phil

#28 ·
Selmer reference 54 alto, jodyjazz jet model 7 mouthpiece, francois Louis ultimate ligature, vandoren zz size 2 1/2 reeds

#29 ·
If you want to do a good comparison of the pieces you are going to try you might want to consider buying some different reed brands and/ or sizes as well. A piece that does not work for you right away can sometimes really open up and blossom with another reed ( make or strength).
Just so you do not disqualify a piece for the wrong reasons.
But eventually you have to chose what is best for YOU. One of the first things you should test is how even and in tune the sound is in all the registers. You need a certain balance between comfort/ ease of playing and resistance to get a good tone. If you make a choice , stick with it , it takes time to really get to know your piece.

#33 ·
I personally think it depends on the type of music you play, but Vandoren v16s are really good, as are Meyers. Also try otto link, there are really good mouthpieces. I have also had succsess with jody jazz, but in my opinion go for either the Vandoren v16 or an otto link (or maybe a Meyer) Good Luck. I hope this helps.

#34 ·
No ones mentioned the Beechler! We can't leave this little guy out... I for one love the Beechler Diamond alto pieces. I find their projection really impressive and they can just scream. But it depends on what kinda of thing you are going for on alto, if you want big-and-buzzy I would say the Beechler or the Vando jumbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.