Sax on the Web Forum banner

Transcribe This Lick

27K views 162 replies 21 participants last post by  Randy Hunter 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new playlist on my YouTube channel with videos I'm creating called, "Transcribe This Lick." The licks are a combination of standard jazz vocabulary licks and brief 1-2 bar licks from solos by classic jazz sax players. I've got a dozen of them assembled, but if this goes over well, I keep making more. I plan to add one a week.

Here's the first. Check out the lick and subscribe to my YouTube channel if you dig it. Of course, I always appreciate it if you keep my jazz improv lessons in mind....

Thanks!

Randy Hunter
Jazz Improv Lessons:http://www.beginningsax.com/Jazz Improv Lessons

#60 ·
I like the Sonny Stitt lick too! I have a student that I've been working with on transcribing, and we've transcribed some other Stitt-licks that are on the list for upcoming videos.
Yeah I have quite a few Stitt licks that I use. Got most of them off the Stitt/Ammons collaboration on some blues tunes. What I like about them is, like all the best licks, they are very 'flexible'; they lend themselves to a lot of variation and the variations all sound pretty good.

#64 ·
LOL. I'm all for that, as you know. However, those ii-V7-I licks are very useful in the blues. Even the most basic blues. I know you know the tune "T-bone shuffle". Pretty basic, but most people play ii-V-I over the turnaround. So far all the licks Randy has put up here can be used in any blues tune. Of course HOW you use them is key.

Hey Randy, I'd say just keep 'em coming. All great so far! As I said earlier, if you can count into the lick to make it easier to play along, that would be cool. But if that's a hassle, no problem. It's really not necessary.

#66 ·
Thanks for the feedback and input, Sax Punter and JL

I'll definitely include more blues and blues scale licks in the next set I put together. I'll also include a click track. I've got two more in this series that are complete that I'll be posting over the next two weeks, so look for the click track after that.

Like JL mentioned, any of the licks can be incorporated in the blues if you are working with the changes. Many blues, especially jazz blues, include ii-V's in the turnaround and often in other places. Remember, iii-VI is a ii-V to the ii chord... Also, like JL mentioned, it's how you play a lick that counts. Gaining confidence with the vocabulary, the time, and the enunciation and sound of your instrument, are some of the keys to making the things you play sound and feel good.

#67 ·
Remember, iii-VI is a ii-V to the ii chord...
Yes. Depending on the blues tune (usually a jazz or swing/jump blues), I like to play a iii-VI7 line in bars 7 & 8, leading into the ii-V. It gives a lot of 'forward momentum.'

Thanks again for posting these Randy. It's fun to see how fast I can pick them up by ear (I think that's one of benefits of doing it this way) before seeing the written line and they really are some cool licks.

#68 ·
These are great, Randy. They all seem really useful and are accessible. I like that they are short licks and can all easily be varied to fit different situations. The format of playing them twice and slowing them down before showing them is great. There is plenty to work on here for months. Thank you.
Peter

#69 ·
I've gotta say, this is a fantastic thread. As a sophomore in high school, transcribing this licks/riffs will really, REALLY help my ear and I'm sure it will improve my improvisation since I'll have more weapons in my musical arsenal.

Thanks for all the work you did putting these together.

Nico

#71 ·
That's such great news, Nico! I'm actually working with a high school student that is really into transcribing (and his playing is taking off too, by the way). We're transcribing some of these licks from solos by the great saxophone masters in his lessons. Hopefully this will help jump-start the transcribing process for you. Keep me posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.