Sax on the Web Forum banner

Lower Lip problems

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Rackety Sax 
#1 ·
Recently, I have no idea why this has happened, but I've been having a lot of problems with my lower lip.

Here are a list of reasons, hopefully someone has some solutions:

-The season for the combo group I play with has ended, and I've switched back onto my Selmer C*, which I consider to be an all around mouthpiece, but I use it mostly for classical.(Normally play a meyer 7, but I had been having some problems without so I've been using the C* for all performances as of recent)

-My private instructor says that I should focus on my own embouchure, and that everyone has their own (Which I believe), while my Wind Ensemble director tells me to curve my lip in (Tuba player).

-Since my private instructor told me I should focus on my own embouchure, I have been doing some weird things with my lower lip. Either I have been sticking the whole thing out, having it half way with the middle a bit out, or having it curved in mostly(Never biting it though). And it all just feels awkward, as though my lip is just sitting there and making all weird shapes, and I keep having to adjust it

If anyone has some suggestions, it would be much appreciated

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd recommend this from Joe Allard:

http://www.joeallard.org/pedagogy.html
I love this from Allard! Especially the part about the meat hooks- a vivid way to explain how to release the pressure from the bottom lip. I was taught the Teal 'wheel' type embouchure, but always felt like it was too constricting on the reed. My embouchure was so firm that I would have to use a tooth guard over my lower teeth & went through mouthpiece patches every month or so. I was practicing/performing about 5 hours a day at that point, so I attributed those issues to always having the horn in my mouth.

At this point, I have adjusted to an Allard-like embouchure when playing classical music, with my bottom lip over my teeth. However, I find that when I play jazz and R&B or Rock, my bottom lip is turned slightly outward. I also take in a bit more mouthpiece. I wish the Bergonzi video went more into the actual formation of the embouchure just to compare- but, if you look at video of all of the jazz greats, the embouchure differs drastically from player to player. The biggest shock to me years ago, was finding out that Coltrane played double-lipped! Apparently this was due to some dental problems, yet that sound & blazing technique!! Funny that all the classical guys look like they are using similar embouchure- but they all have a different way of explaining it. The jazz guys all have a different embouchure, and say- hey man, just blow!

Keep at it, you will find what works for you. Good Luck!!

#6 ·
Well, I would think it would be obvious that if your teacher is a sax player and your band director is a tuba player, who should you listen to?? The tuba player, of course - who else would know more about the correct formation of the saxophone embouchure?? Same thing with whether the anonymous advice from someone on the forum here, who has never heard or seen you play, is going to be more helpful than that of the teacher who knows your playing intimately from hearing you and seeing your embouchure every week. So ditch the sax teacher already and follow the great advice here. Just jam the sax in your mouth and blow - - preferably the mouthpiece end, not the bell, unless you prefer sucking - which we ALL know is all there is to it, as proven by the many beginning sax players who have such awesome tones right from the get-go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.