Sax on the Web Forum banner

Selmer Modèle 26 - an ongoing study

62K views 313 replies 45 participants last post by  talksthetalk 
#1 · (Edited)
Selmer Modèle 26 - an ongoing study

For this study, I am hoping to gather information on any Selmer sax stamped with "Modèle 26"
I am looking for the following information:

Full Serial Number:
Type: (Alto, Tenor etc)
Finish: (Silver, Gold, Lacquer, 2Tone etc)
Distributor Stamp: (Elkhart, London, Toronto, Montreux, none, others?) - *1
Body Number?: (below the low D key)
Extra keys?: (High D trill, Low Eb trill, G# trill) - *2
Front Altissimo F key?: (Yes / No) - *3
Gold Plate in bell?:
Engraving?:
Special Features?:

Photos are always welcome.

I do NOT need to know where the instrument is located or who owns it.

Thanks to everyone willing to help
Douglas Pipher
Toronto, Canada

Notes:
*1 On US horns, earlier stamps say New York and, around 6500 this switched to Elkhart
*2 Horns may have these keys in any permutation. It appears that they could be ordered individually.
*3 This key also appears to have been an optional extra at this time.

See less See more
#208 ·
Re: Selmer Modèle 26 - an ongoing study

A couple of years ago I owned a tenor with serial number 5995. The original silver plating was in very bad condition and the horn was unplayable when I purchased it. I had it delacquered and completely rebuilt. It didn't have a front F key, so I asked my repairman to make one (which he did).

Beautiful horn; I might have a couple of pictures of it somewhere on my computer.

#210 ·
#216 ·
#220 ·

Yes approximately! Note that the description says the horn has been re-plated and re-padded, but even then the price is pretty low. Maybe too low... but my experience is that vintage saxes are not so much appreciated in France, so it could be the right price.

Until now I have never been burnt on leboncoin.fr, but it is like a craigslist with absolutely no warranty. If you are interested I'd say you best find someone you trust (maybe a fellow SOTW member) in or near Paris who is willing to see and play-test the horn for you.

#240 ·

The seller is incorrect. Serial #11090 would be in the middle of the Large-Bore production.
There was no model name stamped on these horns, so they are often identified by a variety of names.

An alto for sale right here in Montpellier. The seller indicates it is a modèle 26, but the horn isn't marked as such. Serial number 11090.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.